1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard types wrong charachters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lallenz, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

Windows XP laptop. Some charachters work, others type nothing and the rest type the wrong charachters. I reinstalled the keyboard twice, through the control panel and through the device driver, rebooted it both times and ran checkdsk fom the command prompt and nothing changed. What else can I do?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If possible try an external Usb keyboard, if that works ok or you can't get one then continue below.

Try reseating the keyboard cable, using this guide :- http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaM35X/satM35X_1.htm

Start with Step 5 then do 6 and 7 then turn the keyboard upside down as shown in the step 8 picture and release the cable as in pic 9 then reconnect it. You only need to remove the 2 keyboard screws in pic 7, you can leave all the other screws alone.

3. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

4. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

Thanks for thefast reply. However I forgot to state that it is a laptop and just editied my post.. I still hope you have an answer.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I knew it was a laptop, I assumed it was the Toshiba M35X in your profile, is it a different one ?

A Usb external keyboard should work on a laptop and the link is to a guide for dismantling the Toshiba M35 models.

6. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

You are right it is a Toshiba! An external keyboard is not practical because it would force the screen too far away. I would like to correct the keyboard errors. I think there must be a way because my Toshiba keyboard started doing that awhile back and somehow it cleared up. Any more ideas?

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The external keyboard is just to test the laptop's hardware, not for permanent use. If it works ok then the problem is probably the laptop's own keyboard.

I already posted a link and instructions to check the laptop keyboards connection to the motherboard.
    Have you tried that yet ?

8. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

Hi Terry,

OK, now I understand. However, I don't have an external keyboard . I saw one link and opened it, but i assume that was to replace the keyboard. I am not sure that is the problem. Couldn't it be an error with one of the components on the mother board? I was hoping it's an error in Windows I could correct.

Leonard

9. dai

dai

is the keyboard set to usa keyboard in region and language settings

10. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I went to the Windows XP control panel and keyboard settings, but there was no language or country setting. Is there another place where those settings are?

Leonard

11. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I went to the Windows XP control panel, keyboard settings and they are set to USA and the language is set to English. Any other ideas?
    Leonard

12. dai

dai

under

region and language settings

13. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

Thank you for the tip, but I already checked the language and the keyboard which is USA it was OK. Any other ideas?

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If some keys do nothing then it's most likely to be a faulty keyboard, having the wrong language settings won't cause that.

I advised you to re-seat the keyboard cable with the help of my link, not to replace the laptop's keyboard. If you don't want to do so that's fine.

15. lallenz

lallenz Thread Starter

Terry I would like to use your1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 link, but didn't see it. Please send it again.

Thanks,
    Leonar

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice