1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Types Wrong Characters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fallingrock, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fallingrock

fallingrock Thread Starter

A few days ago my Sony TR3 XP SP1 portable began jumbling or mistyping characters entered from the keyboard. It does this in all text areas (Word, shortcut names, file names, messages, dialog forms, etc. The errors ae not random, for instance "5" is always substituted fo "i" - although I have not checked this from session to session. Any solutions or suggestions on how I can correct this problem, or how it might have befallen me would be helpful.
    TIA, fallingrock.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the same thing happen if you boot to a command prompt only?

3. AGCurry

AGCurry

This happened with a Dell laptop I had, and it just needed a new keyboard.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Simple.

You have accidentally enabled "numlock" which substitutes numbers for the letters to give a pseudo number keypad.

To take it off usually requires toggling the Fn key plus the one marked as numlock, check your manual.

5. fallingrock

fallingrock Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll give that one a try. I think my cat walked across the keyboard. He also dials out on the speaker phone occassionally. And one day I almost paniced to find my monitor inoperable till I descovered he tripped on and pulled out the power supply cord while I was chasing him away from chewing on the USB ports behind the computer.

6. norton850

norton850

Cats can cause a lot of problems. Look what happened to AcaCandy's.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Lol. My cat does a lot of sleeping on my keyboard, no telling what kind of email messages get sent out :eek:

Found her walking on the laptop keyboard the other day too. Guess I'd better keep it closed when I'm away from it :D

8. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

When your cat does it again Candy get the avatar cat to sort it out. :eek: :D :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice