Keyboard typing equals signs by itself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jasecd

I'm having a problem with my PC (Win XP home SP1, AMD Athlon 3Ghz, 512mb RAM).

Frequently when I type the letter A or number 1 the PC will insert a = (equals sign) infront of the character. Sometimes the problem stops, but it always returns.

I have no idea how to make it stop, but it is incredibly annoying, especially as I type many documents at home.

Any help will be gratefully received...

dustyjay

Jay
If you have access to another computer ar at least another keyboard try it and see if it does the same thing. If it does not then spend about $20 and buy yourself a new keyboard. If it does do the same thing it is probably a driver issue. You could do a repair install of Winxp and keep all of your data intact, if there is a driver issue it will replace the affected driver.

jasecd

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a laptop so a new keyboard is out of the question.

Any advice on how to reinstall XP.

jasecd

jasecd said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a laptop so a new keyboard is out of the question.

Any advice on how to repair/reinstall the keyboard drivers? Or XP if necessary?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online