1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard typing equals signs by itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jasecd, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasecd

jasecd Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my PC (Win XP home SP1, AMD Athlon 3Ghz, 512mb RAM).

Frequently when I type the letter A or number 1 the PC will insert a = (equals sign) infront of the character. Sometimes the problem stops, but it always returns.

I have no idea how to make it stop, but it is incredibly annoying, especially as I type many documents at home.

Any help will be gratefully received...

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have access to another computer ar at least another keyboard try it and see if it does the same thing. If it does not then spend about $20 and buy yourself a new keyboard. If it does do the same thing it is probably a driver issue. You could do a repair install of Winxp and keep all of your data intact, if there is a driver issue it will replace the affected driver.

3. jasecd

jasecd Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a laptop so a new keyboard is out of the question.

Any advice on how to reinstall XP.

4. jasecd

jasecd Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice