1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Typing On It's Own?! Very Odd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by snaithbert2, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snaithbert2

snaithbert2 Thread Starter

Hey gang, maybe someone out there can help me with this?

Every now and then, for some unknown reason, my keyboard gets a mind of it's own and begins typing letters I didn't strike.

It only happens when I'm already typing, like I'll be writing something and suddenly my word will turn into "week444444444444."

For some odd reason, a group of numbers just show up sometimes, inserting themselves into words I'm typing.

I'm wondering if it's because I currently use a device to share a keyboard and mouse between two computers. Maybe once I unhook that device, things will work normally. Though I'm not having that problem on the other computer sharing the keyboard, so that might not be it.

I dunno, it's mighty confusing. I can live with it, though if there's a way to fix it, I'd certainly love to give it a shot.

Anyone out there got any suggestions? I'd sure appreciate them!

Cheers,

Snaithbert

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Turn off the microphone in the language bar or disable it by double-clicking the volume icon in the tray. It is trying to type what it hears.

If you have no need for any of this, go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages tab, Details button, Advanced tab, and check the box that says, "Turn Off Advanced Text Services." Apply.

3. snaithbert2

snaithbert2 Thread Starter

Elvandil,

Good advice, but actually, I don't have a microphone attached to the computer.

It's a new machine, I haven't had a chance to hook everything up yet.

So I'm guessing it's not a voice command thing, unless maybe the CPU has a built in mic on it or something that I'm not aware of?

Anyhow, thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

Snaithbert

4. ceco460

ceco460

Try looking at your Keyboard settings.

Use the accessibility tools available in Accessibility Options in Control Panel:

FilterKeys adjusts the response of your keyboard.

Hope this helps!!!

5. GCguy

GCguy

Check two things: make sure "sticky keys" is not activated. The second could be as simple as your keyboard might have some dust under the keys and it is getting lodged in the plunger when depressed thus resulting in the key becoming stuck - try to blow out the keyboard using a compressed air can.

6. Teepee

Teepee

This looks like the very old 'Keypress' virus to me although I believe the original version affected DOS systems only. It would not do any harm to run an A/V scan though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice