1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard Typing Wrong Characters

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by BigBri, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigBri

BigBri Thread Starter

My keyboard is typing correctly in Word but types nonsense when I type in either a browser window or in my email. If I type a web address in Chrome, Explorer or Firefox it comes out as random letters, symbols and numbers and the same if I try to type an email in yahoo or gmail. As I say, it is fine typing in Word. Any ideas gratefully received.

PS I have been into Control Panel and made sure regional settings and keyboard setting are for English (UK)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Is this a laptop and is the "Num Lock" on?

3. BigBri

BigBri Thread Starter

Thanks for responding but it's a desktop and numlock definitely not on.

4. valis

valis Moderator

have you tried another keyboard, just to rule out that that one hasn't failed? Also, is it a usb keyboard, or wireless?

5. BigBri

BigBri Thread Starter

Thanks. It started happening with my wireless keyboard so I assumed the keyboard was clapped out and then plugged in a USB keyboard but had the same thing happening. For interest, it also happens with the on-screen keyboard.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice