1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboard won't register certain keys

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Since, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Since

Since Thread Starter

Hello,

My G11 keyboard is approximately two years old and all of a sudden a select few of keys stop working... sometimes. The s, h, semicolon, caps lock, left arrow, right click, num pad 1, and a few of the G macro keys stop working seemingly randomly. Sometimes I can hold or mash the key and bring the functionality back (or maybe it just comes back on its own and I just notice because I'm mashing it).

I've spilled coffee and soda on the keyboard (tons of both, once each) with the most recent incident being probably around three months ago. Each time I took the keyboard apart and washed each component that got wet (the actual silicon components are separated in a way so that they don't get wet) and it worked perfectly after I dried it out and put it back together.

I've tried it in different USB ports on other computers, it's definitely a keyboard issue.

From Googling the problem it appears that the keys are on the same matrix (which makes perfect sense, they all die at the same time) and that the reason for the problem is the capacitors that Logitech uses that are designed to wear out 2-3 years after their purchase date. These capacitors develop some fault that either prevents them from properly charging or discharging which causes the lock on the keys.

Does anyone know that this is the actual problem, and if it is, is it feasible to find out the capacitor's specifications and where to order replacements that I would be able to solder in myself? Or if I should simply give up on the keyboard and get a replacement?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3. Since

Since Thread Starter

They keyboard is an expensive gaming one and other than this problem it and was quite nice. I'd like to salvage it if at all possible. It's not even that I'm without a keyboard, I have spares laying around, they just aren't as nice as the one I'm experiencing issues with.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The caps will have an ID on them so you can get replacements. You do need a pretty high skill level with a solder iron to replace caps. One suggestion is to contact badcaps.com. They recap mb so they might be able to recap your keyboard. It is worth an email or phone call.
    http://www.badcaps.net/

5. Since

Since Thread Starter

Interesting site, thank you for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice