1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keyboards not recognized durring boot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by critterimage, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. critterimage

critterimage Thread Starter

Last night i accidently hit one of the F keys and it made internet explorer go into some auto hide mode of it's menu bar. I pressed all the F keys to try and figure out which one did it to no avail. So i did a quick restore of windows 7 64bit and that fixed it, but then my usb keyboard wasn't working. I then unplugged it from the ports in the back and plugged it into the usb port in front and it worked for like an hour. Then I tried to plug it back into the back and it didn't work. So went to the front again and it didn't work there either. I went into device manager but nothing was wrong. I thought that if i uninstalled the driver for the keyboard, then windows would auto detect it when plugged in and reinstall the driver since i did this in the past with a display driver. It didn't recognize it right away so I restarted the computer. I got a no keyboard error durring boot but couldn't go into the cmos or do anything because the keyboard wouldn't work. I tried a ps2 keyboard and nothing. I then removed the battery from the motherboard for a couple minutes and I now get this error durring boot:
    "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
    Warning! CPU has been changed
    Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!"

the problem is I can't press any keys to enter it.
    Please help

I have an EVGA motherboard

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

This has nothing to do with Windows if it occurs in BIOS, too. If your BIOS settings are changed or changing, it may well mean that you have a dying battery on the board that needs to be replaced. Failing that, it may be a more serious hardware problem, but replace the battery first and then make sure that the BIOS is set to use legacy USB keyboards. Make sure the date is set correctly in BIOS.

You might start by setting the defaults in BIOS, then setting the USB and time. That may be all you need to do as far as settings go.

3. critterimage

critterimage Thread Starter

I would but i can't access any settings because the keyboards don't work. So when it says press Del to enter cmos, i can't.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please read the previous post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice