Keylogger in System Volume Information

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jade Falcon

Hi, my anti-virus software, Trend Micro, keeps popping up this message about a keylogger called the Perfect Keylogger stuck in my system volume information. I know that this folder is just for my System Restore information, but it concerns me that this keylogger is in there, since if I have to use my system restore, I'll have to deal with getting rid of it all over again. I already got past the access denied stuff for the System Volume Information folder using cacls, but the sub directory that contains the keylogger is also denying me access. However, I can't use cacls to grant me access, because it too says access denied when I try. I was wondering if anyone knows a way for me to get access into that subdirectory so I can shred that file. You had a similar thread about this here: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2648044, and you seemed to handle that nicely.

I would recommend blowing away all of your restore points. Turn off System Restore, and then turn it back on. This will delete any infected restore points. In fact, it will delete ALL restore points, whether they are infected or not. Once you are sure you are clean, create a new restore point and go from there.

Jade Falcon

I turned System restore off, but now it says that it can no longer protect my computer. Furthermore, no matter how often I restart my computer, it still wont even let me load the the system restore application. Do you have any advice for this new problem?

Did you read my message thoroughly? You have to turn System Restore back on. Then create a new restore point. Right click on My Computer, and select Properties. Then, on the System Restore tab, UNSELECT the "Turn off System Restore" checkbox.

Jade Falcon

Yes, I read your instructions, but i can't turn the system restore stuff back on. in fact, I cant even open the system restore program.

:rolleyes: I know he didnt say " go into the program"
However, I just heard about this prog perfect key logger, And finding out that many of my associares are too familliar with it. And I come to realize that this could be the problem to my passwords being changed. Now i have to come up with new ones and I cant do this obviously cause I am suspecting perfect key logger to be the culprate. Can you help? :mad:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts