1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keylogger Question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Petlydecker, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Petlydecker

Petlydecker Thread Starter

I use the netstat, or netstat -a command to see what outbound connections my computer has. It says port 1025, 1028 are established and 1183 is time wait. I am thinking that these are nothing to worry about or normal. Is there another way to tell if a computer might have a keylogger or trojan horse installed? I use The Cleaner, Spybot, and Norton Anti-Virus, but these programs can miss things. Is there a website that gives any security related info? Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. columbo

columbo

3. Petlydecker

Thank you Columbo for answering my question. I forgot to mention I am using Windows Me. I did check msconfig and everything that appears there I am familiar with. I just had one last question. Is it possible for someone to install a keylogger or trojan horse that would run without appearing in the start-up group of msconfig? Thanks again for your help.

Peter

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

Another thing you could do is install a firewall such as Zonealarm. anytime any program tries to open an outbound port it will pop up a warning and its free.

go here for basic security info

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

5. QSection

QSection

6. Petlydecker

I just wanted to say thank you for everyones help. With all your advice I was able to check my start-up programs and remove spy-ware. Thanks again!

7. Corrosive

Corrosive

If you're ever worried that you may have any trojan horses and what not (that one of those listed apps may miss), just post you're startup list here. It's a small program that creates a small *.txt file with details of exactly what is running when you start the PC. We love it here! I'll be back in a jiffy with a link...

Edit:Click Here

Download Startup list, and just post the file here if you're stuck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!