1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyloggers and installing software ???

Discussion in 'General Security' started by syrinx, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syrinx

syrinx Thread Starter

Hello! I'm new here; as was posted when I signed up, I'm beginner. My bf qualifies as "Einstein." That's why I'm here for help. Posted at another forum; questions was did he have keylogger on my machine. They had me do all the usual hijack this Spybot S&D etc... and when it turned up nothing, they said my puter was bf spy free.

Since then, my bf has used a piece of software (on cd) to view every password on the computer, and when he realized what I'd seen, was frantic for me to uninstall the software. I wrote the name down, but have lost it. Doesn't matter: i'm sure it's not the only utility out there that will do that. My first question, then, is how do i prevent him from ever using software on my computer again--like, while i'm asleep; or, at very least, log every time he does (without him knowing or being able to delete it before I find out.)

Also, since the other forum could not help me, how do I know if there's a keylogger on my machine? Since I was told it's clean, I've installed several keylogger programs, including KGB, staticx, (those being the most recent) and none of them show up anywhere that I can find, the registry, etc... and also, they were undetectable in the 6 different spyware scans I used. I didn't really think ad-aware would detect it, but neither did spybot, nothing in the hijack this logs, nothing with avg, net doctor something...)

I do not have posession of the software to do the reload on my machine; and even if I did, there is no way for me to know that he wouldn't just install whatever, or run whatever disc/program on my computer unbeknownst to me at a later time.

If anyone can give me any direct instruction, that would be great. If anyone can point me in the right direction, giving me keywords to research (what do i need to know to "do it myself") that would be awesome too. I have read through several apps on download.com, etc... I am not averse to installing something if I have to to know what is going on, at very least (if i can't prevent it) but many of the apps there get not so happy user reviews.

Thank you so much in advance for you help and/or pointing me in the right direction.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you don't have trust in a relationship then it isn't worth much. Get a new bf.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

What might help here is window's syskey feature. Basically, windows would not start until it has the correct floppy/USB key inserted. And if he is booting up another OS on the CD, then one can specify in the BIOS to have a startup password.

4. syrinx

syrinx Thread Starter

wk2000,

thanks... you've got me pointed in a good direction, me thinks. I've never involved myself in the actual process of doing those things, but will research and try.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!