1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keypad not completely working!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louise_north, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louise_north

louise_north Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2810 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 290806 MB, Free - 223854 MB;
    Motherboard: Packard Bell, EasyNote TM80
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

A few days ago the 9 key at the top of my laptop keypad stopped working, meaning I have to use the number pad on the right hand side and can't use the bracket symbol. There has been no physical damage to the laptop itself, it just didn't work after it had been in hibernation mode. Then the 8 key at the top stopped working, followed by the 6, then the 1 on the number pad, then the left hand shift button, the F8, and the print screen shot button just stopped working.

Since then I have had to make-do using Word symbols, and a combination of the number pad and the top row of numbers. I can't think of any reason why this would happen - it was completely out of the blue!

Any answers would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It probably needs a new keyboard, is it under warranty ?

3. louise_north

:) Thank you for your help. I don't think it is still under warranty, but I am prepared to buy a new keyboard if it solves the problem!! One last question from a computer novice: are you able to replace laptop keypads? Or would I have to use an external keyboard?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would check the warranty situation, is it the Packard Bell New95 in your computer specifications ?

Try an external keyboard first, if it works ok then fitting a new laptop keyboard should fix it.

If it is that PB New95 I can't find much on the Internet but swapping the keyboard over isn't very difficult.

EDIT : which country are you in ?

5. louise_north

Yes, it is the Packard Bell.

Ok, will try an external keyboard, I got told at PC world that new laptop keyboards can't be fitted, but I think the member of staff wasn't a tech guy.

I am in England.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well PC World will want to fix it for you and charge a lot for doing it !

You can buy an external Usb keyboard very cheaply (Ebay ?).

You could even use it all the time with the external keyboard.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice