Keypad not completely working!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

louise_north

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2810 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 290806 MB, Free - 223854 MB;
Motherboard: Packard Bell, EasyNote TM80
Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

A few days ago the 9 key at the top of my laptop keypad stopped working, meaning I have to use the number pad on the right hand side and can't use the bracket symbol. There has been no physical damage to the laptop itself, it just didn't work after it had been in hibernation mode. Then the 8 key at the top stopped working, followed by the 6, then the 1 on the number pad, then the left hand shift button, the F8, and the print screen shot button just stopped working.

Since then I have had to make-do using Word symbols, and a combination of the number pad and the top row of numbers. I can't think of any reason why this would happen - it was completely out of the blue!

Any answers would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

managed

Allan
It probably needs a new keyboard, is it under warranty ?

louise_north

:) Thank you for your help. I don't think it is still under warranty, but I am prepared to buy a new keyboard if it solves the problem!! One last question from a computer novice: are you able to replace laptop keypads? Or would I have to use an external keyboard?

managed

Allan
I would check the warranty situation, is it the Packard Bell New95 in your computer specifications ?

Try an external keyboard first, if it works ok then fitting a new laptop keyboard should fix it.

If it is that PB New95 I can't find much on the Internet but swapping the keyboard over isn't very difficult.

EDIT : which country are you in ?

louise_north

Yes, it is the Packard Bell.

Ok, will try an external keyboard, I got told at PC world that new laptop keyboards can't be fitted, but I think the member of staff wasn't a tech guy.

I am in England.

managed

Allan
Well PC World will want to fix it for you and charge a lot for doing it !

You can buy an external Usb keyboard very cheaply (Ebay ?).

You could even use it all the time with the external keyboard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online