Keys messed up in DOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LordLastDay

Yes, I admit that the title is kinda bad.

My problem is that I live in finland, thus using a Finnish keyboard... and something has made my DOS think that I have american keyboard, I suppose.

For example when I type ö (o with dots on it) it makes ":"
Other special keys are messed up too, I think this happened when I updated something for windows... most likely it replaced a file with wrong langue version.

The weird thing is that all keys work correctly anywhere except DOS (or the command prompt that is using DOS)

Sorry for typos, I don't speak, or should I say type perfect english. :)

LordLastDay

This is what it had inside...

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=358,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

The country codes are as you mentioned, though they are in a little different position. I have windows 98, maybe it causes them to be lined differently.

To me it looks perfectly correct, I might be wrong though...

thanks for trying to help anyway, I have no idea how windows understand all correctly but my DOS doesn't.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
You need the folowing in the Autoexec.bat

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb su,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

LordLastDay

It worked!

I'm too stupid to understand how/why it worked, as all I could understand is that autoexec is executed when computer restarts. (As it's name suggests)

Thank you! :)

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
The Config.sys and the Autoexec.bat are the files that were use in Dos for setting these things up. They are still used as models (if they were there when windows was set up)
for Dos sessions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online