1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keys typing multiple times

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jusdabest, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jusdabest

jusdabest Thread Starter

I have an HP laptop with windows 8.1. My keys are typing multiple letters at a time. For example, when I type "e" it comes up as "ec" when I type "t" it comes up as "tv" all the letters make 2 letters with 1 click. just the numbers are working right. I cant even log into it because I can't get my password to type in correctly. Any suggestions?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Not sure what's happening with the 'double letter' thing but you should be able to log in using the on-screen keyboard :-

Source :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/type-with-the-on-screen-keyboard (about half way down that page).

3. Exhil

Exhil

It's the stock HP laptop you aren't using a external keyboard?
    What is the model of the HP laptop?

4. jusdabest

jusdabest Thread Starter

update...I held down the k button till it filled the screen. then back spaced it and that seemed to fix it. except for the space bar which brings up the last sentence I typed and mixes it in with what I was just typing. not sure of the model number but will look that up next time I use it. and no, I'm not using a different keyboard; just the keyboard on the laptop.

5. Exhil

Exhil

You may have a short in a row, or its extremely dirty. If not. try some of these solutions:
    1)hold the ALT + SHIFT for 10 seconds
    2) Hold both left and right shift key at the same time for several seconds.
    Might wanna just do this one for the sake of it, go to control panel>Accessibility Options> in the keyboard tab click on the settings button for sticky keys click on the filter keys and toggle keys and deslect the option to sue the shortcut.
    3) Left and Right Shift along with alt, hold down all three keys for a few seconds.
    4) Hold dwn FN (Function) and Numlk (Number Lock)
    One of the most common fixes is holding down both shifts at once for several seconds.

If you do have a short in a row (none of these wok and you cant find anything else) then its time for a new keyboad. =) Hope I could help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice