1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keystroke Logger and Snooping

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by RJCaldwell, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RJCaldwell

RJCaldwell Thread Starter

I suspect that some of the work stations at my office have keystroke logging software or "snoopware" as I think it is called. Is there an unobtrusive way to tell if such activity is going on? Is there software that can detect it without being detected?

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

It is very possible that they do. The company has a right to monitor what is being done with their computers.

What would your point be in wanting to try to stealthily detect it? Sounds like to me you may be up to something we can't help you with.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

[Edit: I see flrman1 has gotten here first, but will leave my reply for others' use etc....]

If you mean keyloggers that have been downloaded by accident, that is, not installed by the owner, then we could help you but right now I suspect that you mean a monitoring software to check up on employees, correct?

No, Probably not, keyloggers record everything and a new software would not be able to hide. The employer could have a hardware keylogger, yes, a hardware kelogger...not a running program.

Again probably not, if there is it would cost a ton of money.

You would need access that probably is not there if anyone that administrates the machines is good at their job.

I would advise that you do not attempt anything, if you value your job. The employer is probably only after seriously incompetents or goofoffs, or those browsing around, playing games or using the Internet unwisely during work time.

Your best bet would be to simply ask up the chain of command if keylogging is going on- they might be impressed with your knowledge and give you some idea of why and what etc. Though you can use the ordinary free detection and removal tools you see in Security forum here or elsewhere> they are not hidden applications.

The keylogging software an employer uses might have cost several hundred dollars per copy. I have always felt that employers who simply inform all that the work computers are monitored will have a better time than trying to trap the bad workers...and, that employees who need to do some Internet things such as checking email, Instant messaging etc....should not do these things at work, as the possibility of something gaining access to records is very great these days.

We cannot help you with finding or removing monitoring software as the issue involves computers that are used in a place of business. You should assume that work computers are monitored.

4. RJCaldwell

RJCaldwell Thread Starter

The "office computers" are my computers since I own the small (5 person) construction company. I have set-up a small peer to peer network involving 4 computers. I simply want to have the ability to know if anyone inside of my organization or outside of it are capable of monitoring what I do or e-mail or word process.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, If the network is not secured and you have others using the computers, anything is possible that is for sure. In Windows XP, ALL user accounts are at administrator level by default, unless when they were created or after, an admin level user has changed those other accounts to limited, so that there are only certain things they can do. Any admin level user can change other accounts, create new users, install programs, etc.

Other operating systems differ.

Usually, we get inquiries from employees asking if they can poke around to see if bosso has a keylogger going....

To be honest, keyloggers if present usually run well hidden. The common antispyware programs may not detect commercial, paid for programs of this type, as they may have been granted exclusion by the maker of a detection program. They will detect the trojan type of keylogger, but I highly doubt that any employee has installed one of those. One could be present if others use the Internet - especially if they surf unrestricted and you do not have a good firewall or some protective programs.

An experienced user, with full access to the firewall settings, could allow anything they wanted> your only solution is to tighten security.

If there is no Internet access, that eliminates infections that can bring in keyloggers, worms, trojans, virus, etc.

Anyone could have brought a disk in and installed anything if the computers are wide open. If the networked machines are fully shared and all users have full access they are wide open.

You as the owner and an admin, can set things so certain users can do only certain things... if you have the right operating system.

If you own the computers, get a technician locally to go over things---be sure they are experienced at detecting spyware. If you do find anything, a good format and reinstall with some changes, such as creating passworded shared folders to limit full access may ease your mind. A good tech will be able to help you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!