1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kicked off internet - hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mkb10028, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mkb10028

mkb10028 Thread Starter

Hello. About a month ago I opened a thread on the Security forum b/c I thought I was having a malware problem. The person helping me (JSntgRvr) determined that it wasn't malware and thought it was a hardware problem so he suggested I post here.

I have been getting kicked off the internet randomly: when I start my computer, I get online just fine, and it works fine for a while. Then, either after I haven't used the computer for a little while, or just arbitrarily, I will suddenly not be able to access any pages or any sites at all. In Firefox, I will get the error message “Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server” and in IE I'll get "This page cannot be displayed - cannot find server or DNS error".

I have to reboot to get back online every time this happens. My ISP is TimeWarner cable (Roadrunner) and I have checked with them and they said there is no problem at their end.

Even though JSntgRvr advised that this wasn't a malware problem, after I ran the last series of suggestions that he suggested on the Security thread, the problem seemed to stop for a while. It started again last week after I loaded the 2007 upgrade to my Norton Internet Security program.

Another problem I had been having also seemed to stop, and then happened again today. After starting the computer, a few minutes after my desktop loaded, the whole screen would freeze and flash once or more, and then the backgound color on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen changed color, and the button bars on the taskbar freeze and flash, and their fonts change size and style. Then the whole system churns and gets slow.

JSntgRvr thought all of this may be due to a problem with the hardware such as the Video Device. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

What are your system specs and operating system?

Also post the make and model of your cable modem and router or switch if you use one.

3. mkb10028

mkb10028 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion a350n and am running Windows XP. I'm set up for automatic Windows updates so I believe that is all up to date. The cable modem is Toshiba DAZ8823A.

Don't know if this is related but the last couple of times I've turned on the computer I've gotten an error message "generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close."

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

5. mkb10028

mkb10028 Thread Starter

I ran what you suggested and got the message "W32.BlasterWorm has not been found on your computer."

Re your question, I'm not sure what a Cat5 cable is. My cable company provided the modem and hooked everything up for me - the white cable connection cord is hooked up to the modem.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think there may just be an issue where you occasionally have to reset the modem by turning it off for 5 minutes then turning it back on, or it could be a cheap ethernet card or one that needs a newer driver perhaps. I had this on a brand new motherboard so I simply installed a pci ethernet card and noticed a performance difference as well as the issue over.

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

That's where I'd go next. You can pick up PCI network cards for next to nothing at Newegg.

8. mkb10028

mkb10028 Thread Starter

Sorry but I'm "computer illiterate" so I really don't understand your suggestions, other than resetting the modem, which I did. I have tried that before and it hasn't helped (I've also called the cable company and had them reset from their end, which also didn't help).

After restarting I'm again experiencing the 2nd problem I described below. Right after my desktop loaded, the whole screen froze and flashed, and then the background color on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen changed color, and the button bars on the taskbar froze and flashed, and their fonts have changed size and style, and have stayed that way. I didn't do a thing other than restart the computer. This is very disconcerting...

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

Look through your add/remove programs list in your control panel. Do you see any other virus scanning software installed there?

10. mkb10028

mkb10028 Thread Starter

I have Ad-Aware and Trend Microsystems, which is what I've traditionally used (in addition to Norton). When I was working with JSntgRvr on the thread on the Security board on this site, he had me install on my desktop and run AVG Anti-Spyware, Panda ActiveScan, HJT. Combofix, CWShredder, WinPFind, SmitfraudFix, DrWeb Cureit, and FixBlast. Some of these may have been trials and I never subscribed permanently to any of them so I am not sure what is still on my computer. I also ran F-Secure (which I think is online only).

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ok, uninstall everything except:

Adaware
    Spybot S&D
    CW Shredder
    Norton

Never run another virus scanner with Norton running. Now, IF you're willing to let go of Norton (I would never get ahold of Norton in the first place), you can run AVG Free and have a perfectly good, small footprint, unobtrusive virus scanner that any PC tech will tell you is just fine. IF you elect to switch scanners, you'll need to uninstall all of the virus scanners and install AVG. That can be found here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

12. mkb10028

mkb10028 Thread Starter

I don't have think I have Spybot. Also, even though CW Shredder appears on my desktop, it doesn't appear in the list of programs. In fact a lot of the programs that JSntgRvr had me run appear on the desktop but not in the list of programs. How would I go about removing those?

Also, re Norton, I have the virus scanning as part of the overall Internet Security package (and just updated to the 2007 version). When you say never run another virus scanner with Norton running, do you mean there's a way to disable Norton first and then run the other(s), or just not to run others?

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

Don't even run the others. Just asking for trouble.

If you can't find uninstalls, look in C/Program Files for folders. Some of those programs are set up to not install in the standard method.

First check the start menu, many programs have the uninstall utility in the start menu folder.

14. mkb10028

mkb10028 Thread Starter

I removed Panda ActiveScan and AVG AntiSpyware.

I can't find under either the Start Menu or directly in the Program Files: ComboFix, ATF-Cleaner, WinPFind, SmitFraudFix, DrWeb. All of these have icons on my Desktop. When I go into Desktop, "add or remove programs" is not a choice - I can delete them, but will this uninstall the files?

Also do I need to uninstall HijackThis, or SpamSubtract (which I think came with the computer)?

And do I definitely have to uninstall TrendMicro? In the past it seems to have picked up malware (mostly tracking cookies) the other programs have not.

Thanks!

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

Leave Hijack this. Get rid of SpamSubtract.

Adaware will catch what TrendMicro catches. If my reading on their site is correct, it does virus scanning as well. There actually IS a warning posted on HP's website about running any other virus scanner with Norton. This is one of many reasons I can't stand Norton.

Now, look in C/Program Files for folders relating to any of the above utilities. You can just go ahead and delete those folders.

When you're done, install and run Ccleaner to get rid of registry entries that might be left pointing nowhere after removal.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice