Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicked off the internet after 20 minutes

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  BannerGuy 
#1 ·
Windows will kick me off of the internet after 20 to 30 minutes. It will say "there is an IP conflict with another computer on the network". What is the problem. When I boot up my computer it takes a long time and acts like it is trying to connect to some kind of network. But i can bypass it by pressing shift+tab and can choose to just boot local drives but it will still kick me off. Does anyone know how to fix this??

#2 ·
dsl/cable dialup, usb/ethernet/wireless.

a little bit of info helps. xp or 2k?

#4 ·
dsl or cable for the 2nd time?

#6 ·
is there another computer in the house, are they tied together with the internet connection or a router between the modem and the computer/s?

#8 ·
Hi boodroe,

To make sure your problem is not linked to a malware, I suggest you to download the install file of HijackThis from here :
- install the software,
- launch HijackThis then click 'Do a system scan and save a log file',
- Notepad will open with the content of the log file, copy paste it to a new post of this current thread.

Also, don't fix anything yet, you will be advised if something wrong is showing in your log.

#9 ·
I dont think it is malware because i got this computer a couple of days ago and this happend the first time I turned it on and everytime after that. I read somewhere that it might be due to DHCP because DHCP comes up when the computer is booting up and trys to connect to some network and fails. I can pass this process by pressing shift+tab and boot from local drives at boot up, but the problem still presists.

#10 ·
it sounds like it was part of a network that it's looking for and may have software in add/remove programs in control panel that need to be removed.

what's the history on the computer, from work a friend?

try to create a new user account, so that when it boots up you can select your account.
you may not be able to do this as it's an admin function.

you may end up reinstalling the os. that's what i had to do on one computer i acquired. :cool:

#12 ·
Its a brand new computer, i ordered it from pcboost.com and they built it for me. When it boots up before it starts windows, it trys to connect to some dchp server and then i went to the bias and changed the boot order and boot settings so it doesnt boot to the server and i still have the same problem. I was told that it kicks me off of the internet because it wants a server when the internet changes my IP. I dont know how accurate that is but when i looked at the bootup process sure enough it was looking for a server to boot from and when it didnt find the server it would boot from my local disk. But like i said, i changed the boot order and it doesnt try to boot from the server anymore but the problem didnt go away. Im stumped.

#13 ·
couple things...

First of all try these steps

My Network Places --> right click--> properties -->Local area Network --> Right Click --> properties --> TCP/IP --> Properties --> at this point make sure that obtain IP address automatically is checked (unless your service does not want this option...rare but it happens) and make sure all of the manual fields are blank --> make sure on the second tab that the obtain auto IP is also selected. hit apply and restart your PC.

once back in to your PC... after reboot
start --> RUN --> type CMD in the run line... this will bring up comand prompt box...

type in the prompt:

ipconfig /release and press enter

next line

ipconfig /flushdns and press enter

restart your PC...

This should either resolve the issue or atleast bring you back to the part where you can obtain a fresh IP...

PS... go to My Computer --> Right Click --> Properties --> Computer Name (tab) --> Change and make note of any domain your PC might be a member of... it might be attached to the old network from where it camefrom.

#14 ·
most dsl's need an ip address, can't do the auto on the ip address in tcp/ip properties. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.