1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kicked off the network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cluelessmom, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cluelessmom

Cluelessmom Thread Starter

Just moved in to a new home and didn't have this problem before the move. We have a new internet company but all other computers work with it, including other wireless ones. My laptop works if I'm hardwired in, but not through my linksys wireless router.

I can get on the network, but it kicks me off after a few minutes. The only way I can get back on, is to click "repair" and then toggle my windows firewall settings. I have no clue why this works, but then I get kicked off after a few minutes, and have to do it all over again. It makes no difference whether I toggle on to off, or off to on. The toggle just lets the repair go through from wherever it got stuck.

Ran anti virus software and nothing came up. Downloaded a new reg key, and that didn't work either. We're at a loss here. Help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does this happen at the same location(s) where other computers work fine on wireless?

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Did you disable the power management on the network card? By default, on laptops, Windows will turn off a network device to save power.

Courtney sends....

4. Cluelessmom

Cluelessmom Thread Starter

Yes, the other computers, including laptops work fine in the same area. Also, power management is not an issue because the device is plugged in on ac. I remain stumped.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show an ipconfig /all for when working and for after kicked off.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you using the laptop internal wireless, or an add-on PCMCIA or USB wireless adapter? If you're using the wireless adapter's connection manager, did you disable WZC in Windows services?

7. jackdw

jackdw

Sometimes the wireless will get turned off regardless of the power source.
    Try downloading a large file that will take more than 'a few minutes' to complete. This will keep the wireless interface busy so it won't turn off due to no activity.

If it stays connected - Power management issue
    If it disconnects - Other issue

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice