1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

kill the messenger

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by elmira, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

I use two computers. One with Windows XP Pro, the other with Windows XP Home. In both cases I'd like to know how to get rid of Windows Messenger from running constantly on these computers. I'd like to get rid of the icon by my clock, and especially those annoying pop ups everytime I turn on the computers or log on to the internet. I tried going into tools, options, preference, and unchecking everything. But this program still insists on running. I don't use Windows messenger, and it's really annoying to put up with all the interruptions from this program. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Del

Del

3. Miz

Miz

Or you can uninstall Messenger completely by typing (or copying and pasting) the following in the Start>Run box and pressing the enter key:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Or you can go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and go the Windows Components. From there you can add or delete any Windows Components.

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

monstrous, messenger isnt in add/remove in xp by design. you have to do a registry hack to see it there.

6. The_Egg

The_Egg

Weird! It's in my list . . .
    Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components.
    Windows Messenger is the last item at the bottom of the list.

7. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Jtoast

When you get to the Add/Remove Programs window in XP, there should be a list of icons on the left that includes Add/Remove Windows Components.

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

9. kknla

kknla

It is listed on xp pro SP1, although it was not listed on original copy. Not sure about home version.

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

SP1 probably changed it. I just formatted my machine at home and havent put SP1 on it yet.

I will look tonight before and after and see if thats the case.

11. Del

Del

Before SP1 there was an INF file that hid many of the Window components from Add / Remove software or windows. You had to go to the INF folder and I believe it was in scof or similar file and remove the hide command.
    In the Windows\Inf folder look for the file: Sysoc.inf Look for the line that has "msmsgs" in it. Remove the word "hide" from the line. Go to Add\Remove Windows components and delete Windows Messenger. There are several other Windows XP features that can also be uninstalled with this method.

12. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

Del:
    I went to the Microsoft link you suggested and it took care of that little bugger. It's a good site, it tells you how to deal with Messenger in both XP Pro and Home and for different versions of it as well. Thanks for the advice, it worked just great!

13. Del

Del

Anytime Elmira,
    Glad we could help..
    Have a great day and thanks for letting us know it's fixed.

14. peetal

peetal

hey any1 know how to make my messenger auto sign in?
    i got windows messenger
    n xp pro

but when i make a new user msn auto connects

but in my normal user it wont auto connect

help is needed
    :rolleyes:

15. Del

Del

You really should start a new Thread..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice