1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

killer NAV - .vxd

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by schniff, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schniff

schniff Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I've read threads of NAV users who were experiencing problems with the SYMTDI.vxd file missing, like myself, but none of them could solve mine.
    on booting i get a "cannot find a device file..... the windows registry or system.ini file refer to this device file.... try uninstalling...." message, but windows starts up in safe mode and requires a password, which i don't have!
    i also get 2 error messages: of Nprotect.exe and Mprexe causing error in module user.exe.
    after closing them i sit face to face with a twisted version of my wallpaper, nothing on top of it or below.
    does anyone have a solution?
    I have W98SE and NAV 2003.

Thank you,
    Schniff

2. TOGG

TOGG

Schniff,

Welcome to TSG, sorry you haven't had any solutions to your problem yet.

I have looked at the Symantec Knowledgebase and found out that symtid.vxd is a component of Symantec Redirector which is involved in the e mail scanning part of NAV or NSW. There is an article about checking the symtid.exe file and replacing it if necessary;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256b59005ead8d?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Unfortunately, this needs a registry hack which I assume you can't do until you can get out of safe mode (hopefully someone else can get you past that problem).

Nprotect.exe is another Symantec file and Mpr.exe relates to passwords. There is a way to deal with damaged password files but, again, you need full access to your files first;
    http://inquirer.philly.com/newsroom/faq/pages/fdb7df9-70.html

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...882565870064d6ca?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Start > Run and type:
    regedit

Go to the Edit menu and click Find.

Type "symtdi.vxd" (no quotes) in the search box and find the entries. When one is found (highlighted), right-click it and choose "Remove".

Then press F3 to continue the search. Remove all references that it finds until you are notified that you have searched the entire registry.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Schniff,

Unless you know what caused your problem, such as a corrupted download from Symantec or failed install or uninstall (or over enthusiastic use of a registry cleaner) you may have a 'baddie' that has attempted to switch off your AV and/or take over your computer by fiddling with passwords etc.

If you had full access you would probably be advised to use HijackThis but I assume this is not possible at the moment. Take a look at Rollin Rog's list of Security Help tools at the top of the Security forum.

5. johncorley

johncorley

You can always NOT use windows to get full access to your files...

If you have a USB keyboard you may not be able to do this if you don't have USB support in DOS.

when turning on your computer (right after you turn it on) start pressing the F8 key repeatedly (you may get beeps or may see a keyboard error if you do it in the wrong place, keep pressing it)

You will see a menu on a Black screen, choose the option for COMMANT PROMPT ONLY (press the number to the left of this option on your keyboard) and press enter.

type

del c:\windows\*.pwl

Make sure you type it correctly then press enter

then type

c:\windows\win.exe (Or just turn off the computer and re-start)

You may be prompted for a name and password to enter windows, ensure there is a name, do not type a password, click OK if prompted to confirm, click OK again.

This should take care of the password file errors.

6. schniff

schniff Thread Starter

Thank you johncorley, but when i hit F8 i get a millisecond glimpse of that menu, and then it jumps to boot menu.
    can i get anywhere from there?

7. johncorley

johncorley

If by the 'boot' menu you mean a menu that shows

(wording is not exact)

1) Normal mode
    2) Safe Mode
    3) commant prompt only

etc

then this is what you want

press 3 in this example and hit enter

you will get a black window where you can type the above commands.

If you don't get this, then you will need a boot disk (may have to get it from a friend if you don't have one)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/182901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice