1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Killing a healthy tree

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by BanditFlyer, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer Thread Starter

How do you kill a healthy tree stump that just keeps growing back?

It's a Eucalyptus.

2. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Hi Peter, A friend of mine burnt one down into the root system. It burnt for days. It was a huge old sick tree, and the whole thing was a mixture of eerie and awesome. I sat by it in the wee hours of the night....the ground glowing. It made me sad

3. xgerryx

xgerryx

The trick is to damage the stump as much as possible to let in natural and added fungi.
    (could be fun with a eucalyptus)

This article is not to bad.
    http://www.essortment.com/home/killtreestump_szmy.htm

There are also more commercial methods such as a stub removing machine. These are not cheap but no harm in getting a quote as it can easily be the most economical option.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Drill a bunch of holes into the stump, fill with with kerosene, light it up. :) Black powder is even quicker! :D

Actually, there are a number of chemical products that you drill holes and add to eat away the stump.

5. wacor

wacor Banned

Large explosives. :p

or a great big machine to take out the stump.

other wise you just peck away at it

6. BanditFlyer

Mommie and Daddie don't want me playing with firecrackers anymore. They've been pretty adament about that since high school when the toilets in the principles office all turned into bedets(sp?) due to some help from an m-80.

So I guess it's back to the axe. (n)

7. wacor

wacor Banned

Firecrackers?? :eek:

Think bigger.

I got a two part explosive that is stronger than a stick of dynamite. ;)

Instant fire pit. :p :D

8. JohnWill

I have a can of black powder for muzzle loaders. I can tell you that if you use 8 pounds of black powder under a stump 2 foot in diameter that it will go 20-30 feet in the air, and that's from actual experience! :D It will also spray everything within 100 feet or so with dirt and rocks! :eek:

9. JRWalker

JRWalker

JohnWill, that is awsome...8 pounds of black powder!! You could always try digging around the root, hooking a chain around it and pulling it out with a truck or tractor. One thing that I have done is rented a stump grinder for pines. But on the same token blowing stuff up is always worthwhile. :)

10. JohnWill

I was much younger then. Turns out that probably about a pound of black powder was more than required, but I didn't know! :D

11. mcslimg

mcslimg

i find that i must be the negative nancy here.

blowing up stuff is awesome! but what would the local government say? hahahha

can you say jail?

12. JohnWill

I would be considered a terrorist now if I did the stuff that I did when I was young. I didn't destroy anyone's property, but I sure liked things that went BANG! :D Kids are so protected nowadays (for a good reason I might add), but it was fun to be footloose and fancy free.

13. BanditFlyer

So we're stuck with a big boom or an axe?

The thing about the fungus is that we don't want it spreading to other eucalypti, of which there are plenty near it.

14. ckphilli

ckphilli

I haven't done this...but I heard someone saying the other day that BBQ coals will get rid of a stump. I should have asked, because it seems to me it would take a heck of a lot of coals and time to make that happen. Good luck-

15. wacor

wacor Banned

get a large drill bit and drill a bunch of holes in and around the stump.

then get some industrial vegitation killer and pour it down the holes. I picked up some stuff for at work that would do the trick i think. it is what they use around railroad tracks. if i can remember i will get you the name on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice