1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Killing The Bandwith-help Please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by j4091s, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j4091s

j4091s Thread Starter

hey everyone, i just recently bought a d-link 514 2.4ghz wireless router. I have 2 computers one which i used as pretty much the base computer and i directly wired the router to it since its close to the cable modem, and the other computer i set up with a wireless link. The computer with the wireless link runs at great interent and download speed, but for somereason on the computer that is wired to the router the bandwith when using things like WinMX has dropped from like 30,000 to 5000, is there any reason i could fix this so both computers could be running at good speeds with good bandwith...or does anyone know why this is happening? any and all replys are appreciated thanks.. :confused:

2. Tecumseh

Tecumseh

I'm a little confused with the description of your desktop / router configuration. Is this the way you're configured? The Broad Band cable connects to the modem > the modem connects to the router > the router connects to your computer. If so, that's correct. Now, try power cycling your modem. Unplug it from the power outlet (if that unplugs the router, no worries), wait about a minute, plug it back in and as soon as all its little lights are up and running, reboot the computer.

Another thing you can do to speed up a sluggish browser is open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Current User (you)\UserData. In the right window pane locate the index.dat folder (should be the last one) and rename it index.old and close out Windows Explorer. You should notice improved performance.

3. j4091s

j4091s Thread Starter

the setup is as follows, the desktop is wired to the router via the first port in the 4 port switch with cat5, and the cable modem is wired through to the router through the port that it is sposed to be in. So in other words that computer is connected through the first port on the router, and i also have one computer connected to the router via wireless.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!