1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Killing the unkillable process: windvr.exe???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boutros, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boutros

boutros Thread Starter

hello,

i write this after much searching the web and no luck. I have an msi tv card and the software is a custom version of intervideos dvr software version 2. On two separate occasions this software has crashed leaving an unkillable process, which is eating b/tw 97/100% of the processor power. The process is windvr.exe. I have tried to kill it via task manager. Via the taskkill command in XP; using using /F with both /Im and /pid. I have tried to kill it using the program process explorer from sysinternals, pskill from sysinternals and the following command also, ntsd -p [pid] -c "q" . None of these worked.

I tried to log- off and restart the sys and could do neither, i finally had to do a hard reset from the front of the computer.

Any clue how to kill nasty creatures such as these!

Thanks for your help,
    Boutros

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you know what debugger your system is using (If not, it is probably Dr. Watson)?

The most common cause of the "unkillable" process is that a debugger has attached itself to the process. You might try disabling Dr. Watson to see if that helps with the killing problem.

To disable him (and any other debugger you may use, including Debugging Tools for Windows from Microsoft), run regedit and delete this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

If you later decide to re-enable Dr. Watson, you can do so by going to Start > Run, and typing:
    drwtsn32 -i <Enter>

Or, if you use DTFW,
    C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools For Windows\windbg -I

But this thing shouldn't be causing these problems in the first place. See if there is an update or contact their technical support.

3. boutros

boutros Thread Starter

hello Elvandil,

thank you for this info. I am now in the process of emailing tech support at MicroStar. I do have the latest drivers/software. Hopefully i will not have this problem again. But if i do i shall try your solution.

This is unfortunately the only software i have had on XP home and pro that has crashed regularly. Maybe 4 or 5 times on XP home and 2x now on a frsh XP pro install! Off to mail tech support and see if there is any decent freeware/opensource pvr/tuner software.

Thanks again,
    Boutros

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It definitely sounds like defective software all right. Hopefully they have some ideas for you. If not, they probably won't be in business long.

Good luck. (The next time it happens, see if drwtsn32 is in the task list, just out of curiosity.)

5. boutros

boutros Thread Starter

hello again,

I have had much good luck w/MSI mobos over the yrs. And i just hit the msi forums and apparently it is well known/discussed that the hardware is sweet and that the software is really crappy. great!:)

also, i forgot to mention that i did not notice dr watson running on the last crash.

Thanks again,
    Boutros

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice