1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Kindle 4th Gen it wont connect to router wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hisbeauty4ashes, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hisbeauty4ashes

hisbeauty4ashes Thread Starter

Hi all I am sooo not sure where to post this for help. I just got internet and I am using a Netgear router Wireless-G WGR614 but it will not allow me to connect to my Kindle. I know there is a way to configure the router to work with the Kindle 4th generation do any of you know how to fix this issue?

I checked everything to make sure airplane mode was off and tried other techniques and it still does not work. So I know it is the router.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Is that router a dual band router? If so you may have turned the 2.4GHz band off and that may be the only one the Kindle supports. Also check the Security on it. Be it WAP, WPA-psk (Tkip) or WPA2 (Aes)

3. hisbeauty4ashes

It is WAP, WPA-psk (Tkip). How do I check to see if the 2.4gGH2 in the router settings. Like is it under the wireless settings?

4. hisbeauty4ashes

Ok the only other option under wireless is WPA2-PSK [AES]

5. hisbeauty4ashes

Ok this is what is says it is a The WGR614 is single band 2.4GHz only.

6. hisbeauty4ashes

Okay here is the deal my kindle works with my internet open. I want to have my internet secure with a password so how to fix that would be good. Also I have tried both settings separately and it still does not work.
    WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
    Thanks

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Remember that when you put a passphrase on the Wifi, and sometimes the WiFi name itself, both are case sensitive. Can you remove the WIFI from the Kindle? (Sorry, I know nothing about them) and then re-enter it with the correct password?

One more thing, make the SSID (Wifi name) is being broadcast, as least for testing purposes. THat would be under the WIFI settings in the router.

EDIT: Also, of course, make sure that the WIFI isn't turned off. I did find a manual for a Kindle, but have no idea if it pertains to your device. Can you give the exact model number?

Here's the link to the manual: https://jenhadley.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/user-manual-kindle-basics.pdf

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. hisbeauty4ashes

Okay yea! I got it solved. I changed the SSID name from Netgear to something personal. Then I reset modem and Router and boom in business. It has to do with the SSID name weird. Anyway thanks sooooo much.

Have a great night!

9. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I'm glad you got it fixed. (y)

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    One should always set the SSID to one that you know is yours.
    I have seen some areas where there are several SSID's listed and no way of telling which one is which.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!