1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kindles: Did you know.....

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by LauraMJ, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

That the Kindle WiFi is NOT compatible with the "n" routers?

Well.......now you do. :p ;):D

I found out after spending 45 minutes at the local library trying to connect, when it connected to my MIFI device just fine. And at the McDonald's down the road. Finally called the customer service and she tells us about the incompatibility thing and when we finally were able to get the router information from the Library's main office......yep, they had an "n" router.

2. vja4Him

vja4Him

That's a real bummer! I'm glad that I got the Archos 70 IT. No problems connecting at home and around town.

3. LauraMJ

So far, it's only been the library that's been a problem. At home, and any other place around town has been okay.

That's..........expensive! :eek:

4. vja4Him

vja4Him

Actually, for what you get, the Archos 70 is not priced too high.

My Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB is just like a mini-computer that I can hold in one hand!

I'm very impressed with this 7-inch Internet tablet. Quite an amazing piece of technology .....

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

From what I've read the problem mainly occurs when the router has been set to 'n-only' mode. I'd expect most 'public' 802.11n routers to be in 'n+g' mode at least, and probably 'n+g+b' mode so they'd work with most devices, including the Kindle.

It could also be due to the security protocol, but again I'd expect most public routers to use a well-supported one, like WPA rather than WPA2. (Maybe even WEP although that's been broken long enough that I'm not sure how many devices still being used are limited to that.)

6. LauraMJ

So far as I was told, it was an unsecured wifi, being it was a publicly available one. I remember her telling me the WIFI was unsecured.........and that they encouraged people who wanted to do something in a secure manner to use their wired network of computers and not the WIFI.

It may be that no one simply bothered to set it to n+g mode or n+g+b mode. The next time I go back, I'll suggest someone look into that. :)

Thanks!

7. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I figured the security issue was a longshot, but possible. Having the router in n-only mode seems more likely, particularly if they got it for the speed. I discovered on my home router that allowing even one g device to connect slowed the whole network down. Assuming the library wants the speed an option would be to use an old 802.11g router as an access point for g devices. You'd probably want them on separate channels, but if the main router was set to n only then I don't *think* they'd interfere. Note that I haven't tried this though-I ended up replacing my g device.

8. LauraMJ

Thanks! I'll mention that, too. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice