1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kingston SSD and Asus AMI BIOS detection Issue (NTLDR)> Very weird> Not a Noob> Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by forumtechman, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forumtechman

forumtechman Thread Starter

Hello
    I want to put info in easy to read format as below:

Personal profile

----------------
    I am not a newbie to computers and have been using/modding OS/hardware since last 10yrs or so (though personal desktop/mobile/tablets only). Everything from Formatting, imaging, troubleshooting(though stuck on this), Ramdisks, water cooling, etc etc etc.
    So when i inform you of the situation below , you can take it that what i am writing below is the exact scenario.

Computer Profile
    ------------------
    TSG Report:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, EM64T Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16374 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives:
    C: Total - 61055 MB, Free - 51011 MB;
    D: Total - 10252 MB, Free - 384 MB;
    E: Total - 216587 MB, Free - 6254 MB;
    F: Total - 61051 MB, Free - 6068 MB;
    G: Total - 153699 MB, Free - 10033 MB;
    H: Total - 21289 MB, Free - 7471 MB;
    I: Total - 717818 MB, Free - 675210 MB;
    J: Total - 11633 MB, Free - 11552 MB;
    R: Total - 7169 MB, Free - 6087 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P7H55
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Everest Report:
    See attachment for Full Computer configuration (including bios and hardware)
    View attachment Report.txt
    just in case, CPU Overclocked by ~ 27-30% to 3.4 to 3.6 Ghz &
    FSB to 200Mhz (50%) &
    RAM XMP @ 1600Mhz (16GB in toto)
    (More details in above report)

ISSUE:
    -----------
    This is related to my KINGSTON SSDNow 100V 64GB which is
    - ~ 1yr old
    - highly Tweaked and kept away from excessive or useless writes.(Read/Write Bench Marks attached) Only has OS and rest all data on my other 2 SATA HDD's
    - Every major data chopping is done from a 7-10GB RAMDISK. (Read/Write Bench Marks attached)
    - Temp folder of windows, Page file, cache of browsers and almost all apps (including printers and remote desktop) is on ramdisk for SPEED and saving SSD writes and increasing life.

SSD started giving me "NTLDR missing" error some 7 days back on my desktop running Windows Xp Pro 64 bit on a early morning PC Boot.
    - AFAI remember this started without me doing anything special (any changes i mean)
    - Initially, i thought NTLDR actually was missing and tried replacing it from XP CD using recovery console. But the files were there and it asked for overwriting (which i did though). Kept giving same error and PC was not booting.
    (just FYI I have experienced NTLDR error some 8 months back only once and then NTLDR was actually missing; i had reset due to power failure issues then)
    -I restarted & tried checking my ASUS P7H55 Mobo's AMI BIOS and to my surprise 1st SATA port said "NOT DETECTED"..which has the SSD connected on. HDD's were detected. Mobo has 6 ports (4 occupied with 2 SATA HDD's & 1 CD/DVD reader & 1 SSD)
    - So the BIOS was looking for NTLDR in my next boot options ..the other HDD's..where there is no OS partition...so NTLDR error had to pop

B) I tried restarting some 4-5 times & BIOS detected it on same SATA port & cable (i did try changing ports & cables;nothing happened). I changed my Boot priority settings back to SSD and OS worked fine. Everything usual. Kept running for some 16hrs (i restarted twice in between too) and all fine.

C) Wake up next day..Boot up and same issue again. NO BIOS detection again > Did some restarts > Detects > Boots up fine and all fine :confused:

D) 3rd day the same and happening each day. So the first thing i have to do each F**king day is to manage this 4-5 reboot s**tty ordeal, for which i am not able to find any REASON at all.

WHAT i TRIED:
    1) NTLDR issue is not the issue as proved above.
    2) Tried Changing SATA ports and Cables of SSD.> No help. SATA HDD's etc all get detected.
    3) Tried Reflashing the BIOS with same ROM (its on the most UPDATED version already). No help. (Don't all settings like Overclocking profile etc get deleted when we flash the ROM? That didn't happen though. surprising??). I used ASUS EX Flash Bios utility to Flash.
    4) Wrote my previous backup'd OS Image back to SSD using Norton Ghost (that image was from past when there were no such issues). I tweak my OS often.. Adding/Deleting/Updating software, UI changes, Themes etc and back it up as a Ghost Image(saves lot of time & raw OS installs) > No help here too
    5) Slapped the SSD a bit > NO help :p
    6) Today banged head on keyboard.> NO help :mad:

Some more things:
    1) Temperature at my place is dipping to seasons lowest of about 2-5 Degree Celsius % about 7-12 during daytime. (in fact lowest in last 20 years >apocalypse coming :D) .Can a SSD be affected due to it and thats why doesn't show us to mobo's BIOS? I can try heating it up a bit and then booting up each morning to check this:p
    2)I run norton ghost from a SD card in a card reader and then take image backups or write them on drive/s.
    Don't know why but the following procedure helps me getting the SSD detected in 2-3 reboots ( it doesn't work ALWAYS)
    Plug in card reader > Reboot and check BIOS (reader should show in BIOS)> Power Off cabinet(Wait for 20 Seconds till the mobo power LED goes OFF)>Reboot Power On (SSD probably shows in BIOS else reboot again) > Change hard Drive Priority 1 to Card reader and SSD to 2nd> Save BIOS > Remove the Card Reader and Reboot > PC boots up fine.
    3) The issue of SSD dying comes to mind. Though as told i have kept my SSD in very optimum usage..even if not how come it gets detected in 2-5 reboots each day?
    NTLDR issue is known in drive-dying cases.... but as detailed above NTLDR was not actually missing on SSD/OS partition
    4) Even if i go ahead and think the SSD is dying(without any reasoning & proof) and contact local kingston service provider.. it might work there and they will return saying its fine. Further i aint in a big city and kingston service people take a week for products like SSD (Further private data is always at stake; even if i wipe it clean;even though i ain't a FBI agent)
    5) I plan to installing OS on 1 partition of my HDD and then waiting for next day morning to see whether SSD shows in BIOS (and also whether it shows within the OS booted up). Is that worth doing?
    6) Anything else should i do?

Any useful help or anything you ant me to do to sort this is highly appreciated.
    Regards

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

No SP3?

Anyway this will bump you.

3. forumtechman

forumtechman Thread Starter

AFAIK Microsoft never gave birth to XP 64bit SP3 :D
    (Just Xp 32bit SP2 is out. BTW I still LOVVVE XP & its robustness; Have extreme Theme/Shell/BookSkin/LogonScreen/Cursor/Icon makeovers for looks of Vista/Win7)

Thanks for the bump.
    Hard to know that no experienced guy helped out in this thread
    (I got replies in another similar thread in another forum, even though i posted it here first)

I am still testing but i am feeling surrounding temperature of 8-15 degree (in cabinet) during night halt can be the issue.
    Now whether its SSD shivering due to cold or the mobo is another headache (probably SSD)
    Never knew that Mobo n SSD can have issues detecting stuff at temps around 10degree (or at least i am told lately that SDD's work above 0 degree only)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!