1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kmode_exception_not_handled

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JenniferRuth, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JenniferRuth

JenniferRuth Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

I've just had a blue screen experience! I was working on a document and all of a sudden I got a blue screen. I didn't take down all the details (oops) but it started off

STOP 0x0000001E ...

and then

KMODE-EXCEPTION_NOT-HANDLED.

I noticed the TV went funny at the same time? Could an electricity problem cause that? The computer didn't go off. I had to reboot.

No virus (AVG free)
    No spyware (adaware)

Oh and it's windows 2000.

Any ideas. Thanks!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If the TV went funny its prolly power related are you on a UPS unit? If not a strongly suggest you get one even if it wasn't the power that caused this. UPS units do 2 things. 1) Keep a computer running when the power goes out. 2) Conditions your power so if there is any power spike or dip it won't hit your PC first.

Usually with any 0x0000001E error you want to see where it says the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is I.E. aspi.sys or kernl.exe or whatever. This will give us more information as to what actual device had the problem. (My thought if its power related may be something power management wise).

Check your Event viewer if you have it enabled there should be a record of the shutdown and possibly it captured the error in there.

3. JenniferRuth

JenniferRuth Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for your reply!

Firstly, I'm afraid I don't know if I'm on a UPS unit.
    Secondly, how do I check the event viewer?
    Sorry, I'm very basic!

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

To find out if you have a UPS attached to your computer look at the back of your tower/desktop and then find the fan this fan should be on the power supply the cord plugged in NEAR the fan should be a power cord (usually white/beige/or black) it should be almost rectangular in shape right by where itsp lugging into the PC. Also if you unplug this cord from the PC you should see 3 prongs on the spot in the computer it came out and 3 corresponding holes. Follow this cord until you see where it plugs in. if its a surgeprotector (the thin power strips) or if its directly to the wall. Then you have no UPS. if its a BIG strip that is heavy with substancial weight it may be a UPS check the modles number and manufacturer and post here to double check. If its a large heavy box its almost definitely a UPS.

Most people do not have UPS standarly.

As far as the event viewer right click on my computer and pick manage a box will pop up in there will be System tools\Event Viewer\System then look for the date/time that this error happened. Usually it will either have a red stop sign or a yellow exclimation sign.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice