1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Knoppix cant find file system: RAID setup

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by paulb100, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Im trying to boot knoppix from CD on a windows laptop that has dual hard-drives in raid setup to extract some important photos before formatting and re-installing windows 7 - we dont know the password to get into windows 7 to get them, the owner just wants laptop wiped clean but wants photos off first...

im assuming my Knoppix discs arent working because the RAID setup is in place..

can anyone suggest another linux disc that i can use that will recognize a raid setup? or are the photos lost without password?

thanks

2. valis

valis Moderator

still can't assist with passwords. closing this one as well.

thanks,

v

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you had made it clear that you started this thread to only ask about retrieving data after your initial password thread was closed perhaps this one would not have been closed.

I have no idea, but would try the latest Puppy Linux. If that doesn't work "out of the box" maybe the following old articles will help.

Puppy 4.3.1 and Raid.

How to set up SATA RAID?

How to get Make command to work in Puppy 2.01 from HD

I found those by searching for "Puppy Linux and Raid." You may want to also search for "Ubuntu and Raid."

4. valis

valis Moderator

I've actually used Puppy Linux on dozens of machines to get data of hosed OS's, but never on a RAID before. Curious as to whether or not that would work.

5. valis

valis Moderator

fwiw, I don't think puppy linux will see the raid controller.......just a hunch.....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!