Know which computer is on... don't know who is using it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StumpedTechy

We use a computer naming convention that gives us PC and location its at. It does not give us the last logged on user or the currently logged on user.

We want to be able to find out which PC a specific person is logged into.
We do not use Wins, We do not have mapped network drives on login (so we can't query against the sessions).

Anyone have any idea of a way to do this? I don't want to go back to naming machines after a user just to have the user leave and the name be outdated. But I can't give my boss any other viable solution.

The best solution would be a toll that you can put in a comoputer name and it gives the lst good login on and also if you can put in a Username and get a last computer logged onto.

StumpedTechy

Um question for you... doesn't NBTscan only work on computer names? I need to find based upon the logged in user as well.

Also how do you check it on the server? I have done searches on my success audits and i find the user but no machine from information... I thought enabling all the audit things may work but no go there. So unless I am missing something this isn't going to work for me.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You could setup NBTscan to scan your entire IP address range to find out who is logged into what computer and then grep that file for the username. I know a few people who do it this way. They actually schedule the batch file to run every 15 minutes or so, then they just do a find for the username in the output of the nbtscan.

when I worked at the school district we had a batch file that ran at login that would edit two files. It would edit a file with their username to tell us what machine they logged into last and it would also edit a file of the computer name, which would show who has all logged into that pc and at what time.

I can't remember how auditing works on a windows server, but I thought it logged the computer name, but I guess not.

StumpedTechy

Yeah I need something easier... this has to be some solution that a monkey can do and look pretty.

My boss is upset because now he can't find out who is on what machine easily and is now tasking us to keep updated lists of all users and the computer names... pointless things for us to keep IMHO. I want to provide him with a simple little tool that prompts input username and or machine name and then have it report back out the opposite information to him in a little text box.

My concern is he will want us to go back and rename all of these PC's to the user names again to make it easier for him to identify (until people get laid off or swap computers and its all messed up again).

One other thing I find strange nbtstat -a (machinename) does not show the user logged on it only shows the machine name and the Domain... I am wondering if something is funky with our Netbios here.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I think you should setup logging within the login script with a bacth file and have it write to files on the server. Then you can just go into the folder, find the username and see what computer they are logged into.

I can't think of anyway to search on the network to see where a user is logged in. I dont know enough about Windows or Active Directory. I am mostly fluent with Netware and Zenworks. With that I can right click on a username in eDirectory and see what computers they are logged onto.

StumpedTechy

Yeah I can see something at login doing the trick the only thing is my boss hates adding overhead to the network and anything as visable as starting a logon script is sure to draw his attention...

Thank for the thoughts but so far the closest I am finding is pstools item psloggedon but this has to scan each PC's registry and is not very fast at all.

StumpedTechy

You would htink something like that would be managed within AD considering you have a centralized place that shows you the computers and users of your environment :(

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I totally forgot about Pstools. I always forget about how uptight your boss is. I just use what works. That batch file login script takes all of a split second to run. We used it on a 700 pc network with three wan links.

Why not use a log in script that runs (like previously mentioned) and turn ECHO off so it doesn't pop up on the screen? Then, your boss/others wouldn't see the logging of what user/machine... wouldn't that work?

ps.. thanks guys for your conitinued help with my daily problems

wis

StumpedTechy

Wisdum sorry but you don't know my boss... I made 1 small settings change one time (added windows firewall GPO to turn off the machine firewalls while on the network we are behind our own firewall protection from the outside anyway and I had a project he wanted me to work on requiring me to hit the C drives) and I had to hear a 6 hour lecture like I was 10. Coupled with the fact that the job he wanted done I could not do because someone prior to me had left windows firewall on on a ton of machines so I could not remotely access their shares. With that being said I no longer make any change short of his say so.

With that being laid out any tool I find I will have to explain to him how it works so If I made some kind of log.

I use PStools for a few functions I think they are very nicely laid out. I only have a problem with this PSloggedon one as it does not do any type of inventorying or anything just scans currently on computers (and takes a long time to run at that).

Too bad there is no AD plugin that correlates user logon time with computer logon time and then keeps a running history. I was thinking something possibly in vbs but I cannot grasp what may be needed in order to get the info (and also this will onyl work on machines currently on).

Stumped,

Im sorry your boss sucks. I have the exact opposite, my boss doesn't have a clue, nor does he care. Sounds like it would make my job easy, except whenever i need approval (money) i can't even find the guy! That, and i get left out of the loop on all the new developments in the company, then expect the internet/servers/printers to just magically work on all their new remote branches (3 in the last 2 months)... uhhhh...

I think a vb script would be very do-able. It would, however, require that all of your machines be atleast 2000/XP (or the code could get really tricky)... and i realize how unrealistic that can be.

I would be curious to see if anyone else has a solution to this problem; in the meantime i am going to work on that script... ill report back if i get it working.

wis

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
wisdum said:
Ok, for those of you who are interested... i found a script that does what we need! I am going to try and adapt it to my organization today and test it.

http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=665&ScriptType=vbscript

happy scripting!

wis
We did the same thing on the schools network but we just used a combination of the login script and a batch file. We did it on a Netware network but it could easily be converted to a Windows network. I have the files if you want those as well Stumpy.

Ours actually made a username.log and computername.log.

I still think his boss is going to piss and moan because it will take up network resources for a split second.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online