1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Knowledgebase Software Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by yori-ko, Apr 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yori-ko

yori-ko Thread Starter

Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced (preferably free)knowledge base with the following requirements.

- have multiple search criteria(ie. can narrow down a search with in a search.) and modifiable search fields
    - allow multiple users to modify and access at the same time
    - be able to search through e-mails and attached documents
    - uses a database which can easily be extracted to Oracle
    - GUI interface
    - simple implementation

I've found a couple which looks like it'll provide what I need but I would like to get some opinions from many of you who might have implemented one.

Ones that I'm looking more closely at currently are:
    - ThoughtTracker = but have no idea about the database export options
    - Web Board = kind of costly hope to find something cheaper
    - Forum = need a closer look
    - KB = heard it's pretty good
    - Personal Knowbase = ??? yet

Any help would be very much appreciated.

-- Yori-ko

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I waited and waited to see if anyone had any suggestions for you. The only one I've ever heard of (and yes, I work for a helpdesk company that has their own knowledgebase) was one created for Outlook. I even tried to find the download. I remember it had been relatively easy to find the download but I sure can't find it now. Omigosh--I just thought to look and found the dern download in my Downloads folder--good thing I've gotta huge hard drive. I don't know about it's capabilities. Works with Outlook 2K. Then again, I started creating my own in Access. I'm no Access guru, tho, so....

Email me at [email protected] if you want that exe file that installs the Outlook knowbase. It's only like 117KB because it's really just the form(s) and folder setup, ya know?

3. yori-ko

yori-ko Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.
    A question about the software you've suggested. Can the data be exported to a database?
    Many thanks.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    But let me get JimiT in here to make sure.

5. yori-ko

yori-ko Thread Starter

Thank you.

Oh another thing. Does the knowledge base search through attachments as well ... or just the body of the e-mail?

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Probably not. Our knowledgebase had used an email system and we would put hyperlinks in it to the "attachments", which resided on our server. You put keywords in the "messages" in the Outlook Knowbase as I recall.

IF IT WERE ME...I'd probably make my own knowledgebase. Of course, this depends on what kind of knowledgebase you're creating.

If you'd rather keep it confidential, you can email me directly with some specifics.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!