Kodak Easy(?)share

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kb-r

Hello, all.

Having lost the software cd that came with my Kodak CX6330 I'm trying to install from a download from Kodak.
Firstly comes a small .exe file that starts an install process, the bulk of which is downloading the actual Easyshare software... It takes about an hour.

Then the installation process, culminating in a restart of the pc.

The restart is accompanied by a "New hardware...etc" and "Building a driver database..." processes, at the end of which a panel appears exhorting me to make the Easyshare software my default handler for various image files.

That's it. The pc is locked. Nothing works - until I restart in Safe Mode and uninstall the Kodak software.

I've done this three times now (with about an hour's worth of download time for each attempt).

Am I alone in my troubles? Has anyone else had problems and overcome them?

I don't even want the Easyshare stuff, just a means of connecting the camera to the pc and getting the pictures out of it.

Regards

kb-r

kb-r

Oops.. Sorry. It's Win98se.
Since my last, I followed a "help" page on the Kodak website which said that I should install the latest software, ie, v.5. I followed the link it gave me, which led me to "The latest software..." (quote), which turned out to be v4.04 - again!
I also downloaded and ran a small prgm called ESS4CLEAR.exe which is supposed to clean out any failed installs/old software - still no joy; I have a camera but no means of getting at the pics.

kbr

kb-r said:
Oops.. Sorry. It's Win98se.
Since my last, I followed a "help" page on the Kodak website which said that I should install the latest software, ie, v.5. I followed the link it gave me, which led me to "The latest software..." (quote), which turned out to be v4.04 - again!
I also downloaded and ran a small prgm called ESS4CLEAR.exe which is supposed to clean out any failed installs/old software - still no joy; I have a camera but no means of getting at the pics.

kbr

I had one of those in the shop not to long ago for the same thing.

But this was ME. And I called Kodak and they refereed me to a fix it driver site and that fixed it.

I'm sorry but I do not have a link for you because our hard drive died and we lost the data for that.

If you cuse them out like if your mad they work fast but if you take your time they do not care.

kb-r

ACTU - I'll try kicking up a fuss.One problem might be that I never registered it (I tend not to, with anything... Maybe this will be the time I wish I had!)

As for the software download page: yes, I've been there many times in the last two days! Notice that it's v.4.0.4 being pushed, while another link (from an error message that appeared once, only) told me I should have v.5.00!

I believe that ME has a camera/MSD driver built-in... Now, if I could get THAT installed, I'd be happy - anything to just access the files in the camera.

Meanwhile, thanks for your interest.

kbr

If u just want the piccies/videos off the camera, just get a USB card reader. Open the camera, grab the card, pop it in the reader and bung it in a USB port. And up it pops in an explorer window for u to copy files to wherever.

I hate those s/w programs that come with digital cameras. photo editors/download apps, all unnecessary!!!

ps - check somewhere like ebuyer.com - think u can get them for about £5/$10

I agree with GCDude. Why complicate it with more software when Windows will do it just as easily. If you have a USB cable for the camera, that will work, too.

But there has been a problem with Kodak and the solution I found was to call there tech support and they have a special link to fix it.

kb-r

It's funny you should say that.....

Firstly - the card and card-reader sounds a great idea (funny how one seems not to hear of such things until they are needed). A quick look on the net shows 64MB cards for about £16, and a USB card reader for around £8.

Two - it's only Win ME that will connect to a camera directly on USB (and XP, I think) without a driver of some sort. Certainly 98/98se won't.

Three - I 'phoned Kodak (UK). They connected me to a technician who is sending me the software on CD, and who has asked me to call her when I get it so she can be online as I install it. That's what I call customer support!

I'll report further... And thanks again for your kind interest.

kbr

kb-r

Hi, again.

Update...

So far, Kodak (UK) just have to be praised for their customer service: the disks arrived within 24 hours, but I still couldn't get it to install. A technician talked me through a couple of things, but still no joy. We even tried installing the camera connection software only, but without success. He suggested that I send a system report (MSINFO32, etc) by email and he would look at it to see what the trouble might be. But.....

Things from then on went downhill. To cut a long story short, I spent the weekend reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows... And drivers... And software...

I still can't get it to install, but now I'm getting error messages about Windows Installer not recognising the software.

I'm also not able to access Diskeeper to set up the scheduling. It's running, cos I see the icon come up in the task bar and hear the HD chuntering away to itself.

Both these things seem to be related to msi files, whatever they might be...

Hey ho, it continues...

kbr

kb-r

It turns out that the Easyshare camera connection software conflicts with InCD, which comes with Nero!

Takes InCD off the machine, and, Hey Presto! - no problem.

So, I now have a choice - should I ignore the Kodak software altogether, in favour of a card reader?
Or go with Sonic RecordNow? (The accompanying LDA program - equivalent of InCD - does not conflict with the Easyshare camera connection software.)

I guess that the question 's for a different forum - Nero vs RecordNow?

kbr

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online