1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kodak Easyshare Software problem.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by kj_slid, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kj_slid

kj_slid Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is wrong here with this problem I'm dealing with. I have windows 98 and I have kodak easyshare software installed on my computer. Everything's been working well until the other day when I went to download some photos. Normally, I bring up the kodak easyshare software, then plug my usb cable to the camera port and then turn my camera on and automatically it starts to transfer photos on my computer. Well, now I'm having a problem all of a sudden. The other day I did everything and nothing happened, after I plugged in the camera... nothing happened. So, I unplugged it and plugged it back, still nothing happened. Then a window popped up and said something about not reaching device. So, I rebooted. I went to try it again and this time, my computer got stuck and I went to ALT CTL DEL, and saw that MSGSRV32 wasn't responding. I could barely move the mouse so I used enter and got that off. Then, my software wasn't responding then blue screen came up... I then had to reboot. I kept trying and the same thing kept happening. Finally, I tried something different. Instead of turning the camera on after I plugged it in, I turned the camera on first and then for some odd reason, the photos started transferring but then my computer froze up so I had to restart it. I tried once more, by turning the camera on first then plugging it in and I got the photos transferred without a problem. Just now, I tried again... having the same problem. So, I'm just wondering if anyone here can tell me what the problem is. I repaired the software instead of uninstalling it first to see if that would work, still not helping. So, maybe someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

My 2 cents

Unless you are in love with the Kodak software, get rid of it...
    Buy a card reader...they are cheap these days... and transfer using Windows Explorer...

I have three digital cameras and have no idea where any of the usb cords are...the cards all get pluged into a reader

After that you can use the image viewer of your choice to see the pictures

3. kj_slid

kj_slid Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I just went and found the card reader and it seems quite simple. Do I need a memory card in my camera for it to work cause I don't have one at the moment.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. You'll need a memory card.
    Until you get one .. you can download the camera using a USB cable.
    You do NOT need EasyShare to do this.

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

Hi Noyb...Sounded to me like that was part of the problem...

kj_slid Make sure you get a reader that is compatible with 98Se...I assume you have that update... USB and 98SE can be a little problematic with some devices/drivers

buck

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Sounded to me like kj_slid was expecting Easy Share to work :rolleyes:
    I wonder how many people have been advised to get rid of Easy Share here at TSG :confused:

Personally .. I'll never load any software that comes with a Camera.
    If I did .. I'd have several sources of problems .... 2 HPs , Sony and Easy Share (that I took back)
    Thank heavens Windows XP can do it all.

7. kj_slid

kj_slid Thread Starter

How do I download the camera with a usb cable?

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

how did you do it before?

now you me really confused

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

You plug the USB cable into the USP port on your computer. Then use software like Google's Picasa or Irfanview to get the pictures on your computer.

10. ferrija1

ferrija1

I was wondering how you did it before too. Did you use the camera's internal memory? Do you know the maximum number of picture you could take?

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Just plug it in .. turn on the Camera .. and the Kodak should show up as a drive in "My Computer"
    Here ... You can browse it - and work with it - just like it were a normal folder full of pictures.

I'd suggest getting the freeware Irfanview to view and edit the pictures ... once downloaded ...
    http://www.irfanview.com/

You could also try M$ Camera n Scanner Wizard .. But that's too much trouble for me to go thru.

12. ferrija1

ferrija1

I find Irfanview a bit confusing, I prefer Picasa, but that is, of course, kj_slid's choice.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I can't run Picassa ... It seems to want to know where all my pictures are .. before it'll work.

I don't want to wait an hour, or more, while picasa wants to scan all my drives .. including my duplicate backup 250gig drive...
    Then have it tell me where my pictures are .. I already know where I put them.
    Talk about confusion ... JMHO.

14. kj_slid

kj_slid Thread Starter

I downloaded the kodak easyshare software from the kodak website then installed it. Then, plugged the usb port to the back of the computer, then to the camera and then transferred the photos, that's all I had to do.

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    When Easy Share messes up again .. and you possibly loose all your photos .. come back.
    I've lost count of the number of Easy Share users who have had this problem.

They all got the same answer .. Don't use it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542130

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice