1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kool-aid spill, laptop no longer boots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saturable, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saturable

    Saturable Thread Starter

    Joined:
    May 2, 2016
    Messages:
    366
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hi everyone, I think I'm out of luck here. Let me explain what happened in detail.

    I have a laptop which model is pretty similar to the MSI GT80 Titan, except it's sold and built by CyberPower PC. And no, they aren't the problem. I was playing a game two days ago and I spilled Kool-aid over my keyboard. It mainly hit the leftmost side, so naturally I didn't really panic because I thought that the keyboard (because it's mechanical) wouldn't be able to get into the components. I kept playing after the spill but then I decided I should do something, so I wiped it off and took it apart.

    I cleaned it all up, and nothing managed to get into the core components. I wait a day, boot, and the keyboard is a bit broken. I grab a blow dryer and I revive it apart from sticky keys. So, I use the straw method to fix them, but in the process I may have shorted out the red LED strip above the keyboard. No big deal, right? I guess not. Another day passes, today, and I notice the escape key is still sticky so I perform the straw method again. I dry it via blow dryer, take off the back cover, blow dry that for a while, and then proceed to unscrew the whole bottom cover to expose some of the keyboard to check for more damage. In the process I pull up near the battery, it moves up, but that's no surprise, because it sits on a metal frame that holds it up. So I inspect the keyboard, it looks fine, and I screw everything back together.

    I press the power button and nothing. I plug it in via AC, nothing. It's either I jarred something loose with the battery, had some liquid make contact with the battery or internals, or I shocked it to death via static because I wasn't grounded. I don't know what one it could be, but I hope I didn't fry anything. This is a really expensive laptop and I'm really freaking out now. Especially because no signs of life are showing including the LED indicators for WLAN, battery status, and HDD status.

    Does anyone have any ideas? Did I fry the internals? I found no evidence of water damage anywhere near the battery. I really want to get this working again.

    Thanks.
     
  2. Macboatmaster

    Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2010
    Messages:
    20,701
    It is completely impossible to advise you on the details of what has occurred
    That does not mean that you could have provided any more details
    It means that the situation is now such that the only possible approach is the testing of components and such procedure is beyond the capabilities of any forum help.
    IMHO this - as far as the individual user is concerned, even with the degree of sill you appear to have, is an impossible task.
    The only way any real progress can be made is for parts to tested by an expert - computer repair and analysis and replacement made as necessary
    The cost is likely to be uneconomical
    When you ask
    All impossible to answer with any degree of real experienced opinion.
    What I can say is
    This together with everything else seems to me to be a clear indication - now you have this
    that unfortunately as far as forum help is concerned, it is, as I said a lost cause.
     
  3. Saturable

    Saturable Thread Starter

    Joined:
    May 2, 2016
    Messages:
    366
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the reply! Upon further inspection, I seriously doubt I shocked anything into death (but I could be wrong, but then again, wouldn't a spark be visible?), and I didn't notice any liquid anywhere near the battery. Perhaps the power switch failed, but it seems unlikely in this case because it wouldn't have done so if I never spilled. Also, the kool-aid was spilled clear on the other side of the power switch area. I wanted to believe for a moment that perhaps the battery needed to be in a certain position for the power button to activate it, but that would be silly, especially in this flagship laptop.

    I really don't want this to hit the grave. I'm probably going to have to bring it to a technician to get its parts tested, or there's some ridiculous reason it won't receive power. I'm going to assume, however, that there is a likely chance I shocked it to death, but I didn't touch any of the internals, only the heatsink and that was with a Q-tip.

    I'm just stumped. A diagnostic test would be the only way to proceed, I guess.
     
  4. Saturable

    Saturable Thread Starter

    Joined:
    May 2, 2016
    Messages:
    366
    First Name:
    Mark
    Today, I noticed that the laptop must be receiving power. I also found that the power button is still functional. The battery charging LED now lights up, and if I hold the power button for 12 seconds, the LED turns off suggesting that it's also in working order. This would also suggest that the motherboard isn't completely fried, as it's telling the battery LED to turn on. However, it could perhaps be the processor (I hope not) or another component.

    Although, there could perhaps be a short in the motherboard (also something I'm hoping it's not.) I'm going to be taking it in to a local shop soon to have them test its components.
     
  5. managed

    managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    Messages:
    10,352
    First Name:
    Allan
    The thing with liquid spills is it can flow into all the nooks and crannies, under chips on the motherboard etc and can do all kinds of damage. If you're lucky it will be repairable but you could be looking at a new motherboard and/or cpu I'm afraid.
     
  6. Saturable

    Saturable Thread Starter

    Joined:
    May 2, 2016
    Messages:
    366
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, I'll probably have to return it to the manufacturer and pay the price for repairs. It's not going to be cheap at all but it'll be cheaper than buying a new laptop for another 4 grand. I'm not happy about this. Unfortunately my local tech place didn't know what was wrong either.
     
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Loading...
Similar Threads - Kool spill laptop
  1. pcneedshelp111111
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    129
  2. Maacu
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    382
  3. juan2323
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    312
  4. sabo10
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    256
  5. sabo10
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    130
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170725

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice