KT400 and WD800JB HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wayc00lio

I have a pc with a KT400 Chipset and I have a 40GB HD. Everything was cool till I bought a WD800JB and installed it as a slave. Now my pc takes 3 times as long to startup and windows stutters like mad.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this?

Triple6

Rob
Have you set the jumpers properly on both drives? Try using Cable Select on both drives and put the drive you want as Master on the black connector, and the drive you want as slave on the middle gray connector. If that doesn't work try setting one to Master and the other to Slave. Use the jumpers on the back of each drive.

You may also want to go into the BIOS setup and make sure the the Primary Master device is not set to disabled.

Does the new 80GB drive work?

wayc00lio

Yeah it works, I haven't tried the cable select settings though - I'll give that a go.

I was wondering if there would be any compatability issues with the Chipset I have and the EIDE harddrive. I could seem to find any info on this!

Triple6

Rob
What other drives do you have? Can you put the new 80GB on the Secondary IDE Channel?

wayc00lio

I have a seagate 40GB HD. I've never thought about secondary IDE Channels - how would I do that?

wayc00lio

Seagate is ST340016A, You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I'm not a hardware techie! I thought I knew a bit about pc's too! Just goes to show huh! LOL.

crjdriver

WD drives have more than just the master / slave / CS jumper settings. When you have a WD drive, it has a jumper setting for master multiple drives. This MAY be what is causing you problems. When this is not set correctly, it causes a long boot time.

To put the drive on ide2, you would connect it to ide2. Generally hd are put on ide1 and optical drives on ide2, however you can connect the hd to ide2. Your setup would look something like this; 40 gig as master on ide1, 80 gig as master on ide2 and put your optical drive as the slave on ide2.

Have you checked the bios to see if all ide channels are set to AUTO?

wayc00lio

I figured it out. OK, in BIOS, my Channels were all set to auto. I looked in device manager and under the secondary ide channel (where both drives are master and slave) properties/advanced settings the master and slave were set to DMA if available. Now, on the master, the current transfer mode had switched to PIO and the secondary to UDMA mode 2. Now, this is totally wrong. I went to device manager again and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I uninstalled both the primary and secondary controllers. Rebooted, rebooted again to load changes and it works a treat. Now both drives are back on UDMA Mode 5.

Thanks for all your responses. I hope my solution will help you in the future!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online