KVM Switch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

17RiCkE17

I have two computers and my desk is kinda small and i was wondering if a KVM Switch is

worth getting.

I use a KVM switch, but mostly for fixing people's computers when they bring them over to the house. Normally, I have a laptop on the "B" channel, so I can be playing my games, and if I need to look up something, I just flip to channel B, look it up, then flip back to channel A.

Handy indeed!

-Gonz

YESSSSS!!!!! VERY GOOD IDEA. hmm that is i have a 4 switch one at the moment and used to use all 4 generally i used it for 1- main comp 2- server 3- 4- fixing comps but yes get one depending on how many computers you fix or use at a time ... believe theres 2 and 4 port ... Note: the sound doesnt work if you have a subwoofer from my experience :)

Good Evening chaps, yes the best toy you can have, a four-way, independent manual selective as well as keyboard with good indication as to which is UP!
Ensure it comes with the lead set! Some mice emulators do have minor problems but nothing difficult.
I have a couple and wouldn't be without them. Go for it!
Cheers, qldit. four hours till 06. Happy New Year All!

qldit,

Yes I could not get my new Logitech MX Laser 1000 mouse, Setpoint software setup right because you need to hook it up without the KVM Switch to get the software installed right.

hewee said:
qldit,

Yes I could not get my new Logitech MX Laser 1000 mouse, Setpoint software setup right because you need to hook it up without the KVM Switch to get the software installed right.
Good Evening hewee, yes it is strange that these kinds of things always need to be learned the hard way. It is apparently common with some brands of optical mice.
Something to do with the emulation properties inside the KVM box, which represents the mouse during boot or whenever being substituted, too technical for me I'm afraid.
Qldit,

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This may be a little different configuration …. But I love it.
I use a KVM switch so that I can run a second Monitor from my main PC (as a dual monitor) - or to operate a second, or more, PC(s).

The problem I had – The main computer must also see the second Keyboard and mouse to provide power to the KVM switch before the KVM will connect to the main PC.
I used a USB > PS2 adapter on the main PC to provide this power to the KVM from the main PC.

Sometimes I get a little confused which mouse, or keyboard, to grab – but they both work when attached to my main PC -
so I can’t go wrong.

Attachments

qldit,

I have not yet hooked up the mouse tru the KVM switch so do not know if it will work ok or not know that it is all installed.
I sure did not like how it installed things and worse off all it wanted to install.
It is just a mouse but the Setpoint is not like the older mouseware that gets installed in the control panel. It is install in the program folder and you need Flash to use it. It wanted to install a newer version of WMP too and also Backweb. I got around this by going to the sub folders on the CD and installing just what I wanted.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
17RiCkE17 said:
I have two computers and my desk is kinda small and i was wondering if a KVM Switch is worth getting.
I'd say Yes -
If your going to use only one PC at a time - or one PC is going to be tied up for some time on a task like rendering video.
One thing we haven't mentioned here - yet ... Is how to handle the audio switching.
You can get KVM switches that will also switch the audio if you need to do this.
My amplified speakers have multiple inputs - so the audio was not a concern.

hewee said:
qldit,

I have not yet hooked up the mouse tru the KVM switch so do not know if it will work ok or not know that it is all installed.
I sure did not like how it installed things and worse off all it wanted to install.
It is just a mouse but the Setpoint is not like the older mouseware that gets installed in the control panel. It is install in the program folder and you need Flash to use it. It wanted to install a newer version of WMP too and also Backweb. I got around this by going to the sub folders on the CD and installing just what I wanted.
G'day Hewee, I have never seen one let alone loaded one like that.
It sounds wrong to me, why would a mouse need that kind of circumstance?
It must be some associated software product accompanying it surely!
If it requires that kind of software for normal operation then it is most likely that it will have a trend to be lost if any problem happens. That would worry me!
In that a KVM switch really needs to be multi-functional and versatile, and have an ability to boot systems without being "UP" as the operative set, it obviously needs to be able to boot to the KVM switch "image" which I doubt would be able to be reliably representative of such a complex mouse. If your mouse is so "fickle" I would be considering it as being unsuitable for that application.
I am playing with numerous operating systems many in multiboot config so you would appreciate why I use the simple comon mouse and keyboard. (KISS, keep it simple, it doesn't take much to confuse me let alone the machine!)
Did you actually get that mouse to function properly on it's own?
I would be inclined to put it on the shelf and just look at it's beauty, like a trackman mouse thing I got here, it has a rollerball on top, really looked nice but boy did it ever give you a sore thumb after a few hours use!!
Cheers, qldit.

Well to start the mouse worked before I installed anything but only the left, right and scroll.
Then after I installed the software that I said you need the flash I could not see what it was telling me to do so I could program how I wanted all the buttons to work.
I really like the mouse and it is nice for image programs too. Has side ways scroll too.
But I have to have the SetPoint load at startup and it is by the clock. I would close it down or disable it but then I lose some of the things the mouse can do without it.

Logitech Setpoint – KEM.EXE

Kem.exe and khalmnpr.exe install with the Logitech Setpoint Software. This software comes bundled with Logitech Bluetooth Keyboards and mice. SetPoint lets you configure your mouse buttons and setup special keys for your keyboard. Setpoint also gives you information on battery status. If you use a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard or mouse, leave this file in place.

Then I got this that runs too.

Logitech Setpoint – KHALMNPR.EXE

Khalmnpr.exe described as the "Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer". It installs with the Logitech Setpoint Software. A file called kem.exe will also appear on your system. This software comes bundled with Logitech Bluetooth Keyboards and mice. SetPoint lets you configure your mouse buttons and setup special keys for your keyboard. Setpoint also gives you information on battery status. If you use a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard or mouse, leave this file in place.

This is info from WinPatrol Plus version on the two files.

Good Evening hewee, I understand, but I think that entire system will not be compatible with the standard KVR switching ideas.
As far as I understand the standard mouse sofware is loaded at boot, dependent on hardware presence. That mouse presence would obviously not be fully emulated therefore it would be interesting to see what would be actually loaded.
I would be most interested to learn what your findings are with that system.
I suspect everyone else will also be interested.
qldit.

Well I know I need those files to load to get full use of my mouse they way I want it to work.
Just like my older 3 button mouse loaded the EM_EXEC. But that file I have disabled. It was only need for the center button.
So you want to know what would happen if I keep KEM.EXE and KHALMNPR.EXE?
See how I have already configure the mouse buttons I would say that it is not needed. But does it need to load or not so I can get my setting I made I don't know but I think so because I closed those two by doing a CAD and I losted used of my settings. Just like the EM_EXEC on my old mouse I losted the center button.
But on the old mouse I only had the EM_EXEC file load. Now on this mouse I have two things load and the icon by the clock for the setpoint. I wish that it was not there. I just close down the icon bu the clock and it closed down both KEM.EXE and KHALMNPR.EXE.
I have my left and right click and scroll. Losted the used of everthing else. :(
I can use winpatrol and highlight it and then click on run so am able to get it running again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online