1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kworld tv-tuner lock up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frustrated99, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frustrated99

frustrated99 Thread Starter

I just got the kworld mpeg tv station (KW-TV878RF-PRO). When I was installing the drivers on win2000, it would install the btcap audio capture drivers, but when it installed the video capture drivers and was at the point to enable the device, my computer stopped, completely froze. I turned the power off and rebooted, then I went to the device manager and tried to enable the device. The second I did it locked again. It does this every time. please help!

my computer specs are:
    AMD Athalon XP 1800+
    512MB RAM
    Windows 2000 Pro
    GeForce4 TI 4200
    Inland PCI sound card
    40GB hard drive

I tried it using winxp too, but the same happened:(

2. hammerbill

hammerbill

The Kworld TV card has often difficulty loading in windows. A missing .dll file is the culprit. You need to go into device manager and find the yellow exclamation mark next to a bt driver (brooktree) and try to find out the name of the missing dll file. Sorry I don't remember it off the top of my head-its something like bt829.dll.
    If you type the name of the dll file in a browser, sometimes you can find a site that keeps these files on goodwill for people with these problems.
    Incidentally, while you were loading the cdrom driver for the device, you probably got a couple of errors saying that a file could not be found. These were the files you needed. You may find the files by uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them again-this time writing down the names as windows says it can't find them. You won't find these files anywhere on the windows disc or in "system", but after you download them, use the driver search feature to load them. I am not real familiar with win 2000 so I hope that helps.

3. frustrated99

the cd that came with it only installs the viewing apps. I had to link the "new hardware found" to the cd file to install. This worked fine, I had no missing file messages.

It is only when the computer tries to "enable" the device, as in make it active, that it locks up.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, and that works fine, it just cant enable it.

could this be a hardare defect with the one they sent me?

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Could be a IRQ conflict with the card, try moving the card to a different PCI slot... I have the same card on a win2000 machine and it works fine, so it's not an OS incompatability.

Note. I do get lockups with the card if I watch TV while using Newsbin Pro, seems to be a software conflict with the tuner. Otherwise, it's great.

5. frustrated99

I moved it to two other slots, both times it did the same thing: lock up when it enables the video capture device. The same happened in winxp home

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Was going to ask if there were any other capture devices. I have a scanner and two cammeras hooked to mine, but I used to have a minicam that conflicted with it.

7. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

how much is your power supply rated at

if a pc is getting enough power to only run the processor and the drives (i have seen it happen) the moment you at a pci card it may crash.

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

It should look like this under the control panel. If you don't have the bxbar or the bt capture devices installed, there's you're problem..[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. frustrated99

I have all those devices installed. I have no other video captures things, only my video card, sound card, and kworld card are in, I have had many other cards in at one time before, no problem with power.

I', thinking it must be just a defective card....:(

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Hope you can return it. The card may be defective, or your hardware may just not like it for some reason.

Wait a minute, I just thought of something. Have you got a updated directX installed? The card has to use direct draw. Also, what video card do you have?

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Your video card can have problems with tv tuners, hold one, I got the same card and it has a setting in the driver for tv-tuners.

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

There was a place to check off in the video driver configuration of my older driver if you were useing a tv tuner. It doesn't seem to be in my new driver. It was under direct draw settings.

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try updating your video card driver....

14. frustrated99

I got the newest drivers for my video card, tried to enable the device. But got the same result. and I didn't see any options for it. :(

I don't know whats going on

15. hammerbill

hammerbill

I have had a time or two with the brooktree chips in windows systems (all-in-wonder and kworld). I had that exact same card installed correctly in a computer before but it took me some time to figure out how. So I booted my current computer to my windows ME partition and installed it again to remember what I did.

Here's what happens if I try to install the driver in win ME: a couple of those "older driver/keep" messages came up. I opted to keep the newer version. Then windows couldn't find tsbyuv.dll.
    I searched the windows disc, the system and the driver disc. The file was nowhere. So I went to http://dll.yaroslavl.ru/index.php3?lng=&in_char=T (dll world) and found the dll file and downloaded it. I tried to patch it in but it did not want to find it with a failed driver installation pending. So I uninstalled the attempted driver installation and pasted this file in windows system. Then I rebooted and reran the driver search. I had to point it to system to find it (like in the old win 95 days) but it then saw it and then loaded all drivers without exclamation marks. It then allowed me to load the multimedia software to run TV, etc. Now I am watching TV. And now I remember why I took it out:p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!