Lab Melt Down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sarahw

I have pretty much written these machines off, but I am very curious as to why they were stricken so here goes:
My school has a lab of 20 4-yr-old Pentium-S 166 mhz
CompUSA clones. They are running win98 upgraded from 95. The also have Office, Netscape, Novell client 32 and "Deep Freeze" lab software to keep idle hands from making damaging changes. They will only boot to C: and the bios has been password protected. They have been running well with this set up for 3 months. Of course they are out of warranty.
Earlier this week, 12 of them started showing 1 of 2 symptoms the screen either shows the "check signal cable" warning or it gives me a "no keyboard error" and will not boot past that. Wiggling cables, reseating cables, removing the computer to my office and trying it there, swapping keyboard, monitor and video card has no affect at all.
I have more of these from another lab we replaced so am not too concerned, but nothing I have found addresses this and I am wondering what, if anything, else I could try. The only suggestions I can get is to F disk and start over, but I cannot get even as far as a command prompt. On the machines that are giving me a keyboard error, they will accept no input so getting into the bios is also not possible.
Any detectives out there?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online