1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Labtop, just a quick question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ankit, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ankit

Ankit Thread Starter

i was just wondering, i have a desktop computer at home and i am using Rogers Highspeed Internet. IF i buy a Labtop could i use the same internet connection as my desktop computer?.. Would i need any extra equipment, or wires??..

2. dwaynea515

dwaynea515

what kind of internet connection do you have. I mean is this like cable or is it always on or do you use a dialup? You can probably set it up the same as your desktop and use one or the other. If you want to use both at the same time you can get a router pretty cheap and have them both hooked up.

3. Ankit

Ankit Thread Starter

i have CABLE, isn't there a button on some labtops that have internet connection capabilities ?

4. dwaynea515

dwaynea515

I couldnt tell you about the button but if you take the laptop in and set the wizard up just like your desktop, same IP address and same settings then they will be interchangeable. Or like I said get a router and then you can use both at the same time without haveing to keep changing them.

5. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

If you manage to setup internet connection sharing on the desktop and run a RJ-45 cable between the laptop and the desktop, then set the laptop to use the ICS then with some luck you will be able to access through the desktop..... But you'll need to have the desktop running for the laptop to connect...

If you have XP on the desktop try the Network Setup Wizard (after you get the laptop hooked up to the desktop [most laptops should have a RJ-45 network cable port. It looks like a phone jack at the back of the laptop] and if your desktop is fairly new, you should have at least a basic 10/100 NIC integrated into the desktop's mainboard...)

Then run the Network Setup Wizard on the laptop...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/314609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice