Lady In Distress

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cajun Lady

I was given a computer that is running Windows 98. The computer is old, not been used in awhile, and very-very slow. I ran Disk Cleaner without problems, and then started with Defragmentation(never had been done). The process started and then stopped with the following error messages: a required .DLL file,MSVCRT.DLL not found. Also the message: exployer.exe not found. I have no Windows 98 Installation Cd, so I tried a safe mode boot with command prompt and the Install Windows message always appears. I really would like to put Windows XP Home Edition on this computer. Is there a way to uninstall Windows 98 without CD, or use my Windows XP CD to upgrade? I was curious to see if the Windows XP CD even ran on the computer, and it would not even read the CD. I should mention the computer is an old Misubitshi(hoped I spelled that right) and I could not find any support information online. " Oh-My what is this Cajun Lady to do?????:( :(

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Cajun Lady:

If that computer is as old as you say it is, don't even consider trying to install Windows XP in it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What speed is the processor and how much RAM is installed?

What is the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

Is it a laptop or a desktop, and does it have both floppy and CDROM drives?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do a google search for MSVCRT.DLL. You can download it and put it in your Windows\System folder. An alternative is to find a friend with Windows 98 and copy the file from their computer...

Once you get the file, boot to command prompt only (option 5 on the boot menu) and copy the file to the C:\Windows\System folder.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Download and save that file somewhere, then copy it to a floppy disk.

Start your computer in DOS mode, then select "Command prompt only".

At the flashing prompt, type in

copy a:\msvcrt.dll c:\windows\system

(Note: Make sure to type in a single space between "copy" and "a:" and between "dll" and "c:")

After you type in the command and press the Enter key, it should tell you if the file was copied or not. If you're successful, remove the floppy disk with the file, then press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to reboot your computer.

Do you have Windows 98(4.10.1998) or Windows 98SE(4.10.2222)? If it's 98SE and you can't get the file, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online