1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lag Spike Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by comeclarity, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. comeclarity

comeclarity Thread Starter

Okay, here the Issue I play a online game and my Ms is usually 30-40Ms, and as of now im getting

lag spikes that can last from 2 seconds - 5 minutes ( 100-400ms) i'm positive its not anything

running the background on my computer. I have restarted my router many times when i do that my

connection will drop from G speed of 54mbps to 2-5.5mbps i have call my internet provider (TW)

time warner to reset the connection didn't help. my router is a
    Wireless-N Broadband

RouterWRT160Nv3 Linksys. I haven't bought a N-adapter to take the full speed of the router as of yet. so im using the default one build into the laptop.

any clues to what i need to do to stay at a 54mbps after restarting router and stop the horrible lag spikes?

as of now though i am at 54mbps but still getting lag spikes

also if there any tips on how i should set-up my advance routing for my router for wireless that would help =)

if there more info needed. ask me to post them thank you.

" OS: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0 build 6001)
    system Type: 64-bit
    system manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    Model: Satellite A305
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), -2.0GHz

Memory: 4086MB RAM

Page file: 2806MB used, 5557MB available

DirectX verison: x10

HDD 296GB "

2. warrior19

warrior19

It might be wireless interference if the line has been tested ok.

Install Xirrus http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php on the laptop with the laag issue and run this software from where you use the laptop mostly in the home! e.g. bedroom/upstairs..?

Then post the status/home screen to show us how the wifi is setup and neighbours wifi in your area.

Tell us the name of your wifi network so we can compare it with others?

3. warrior19

warrior19

Also can you try a wired connection from the laptop to one of ports 1 to 4 on the back of the Linksys? Just as a test to see if a wired connection does not produce the LAAG problem?

4. comeclarity

comeclarity Thread Starter

ok i connected to a wired connection my mbps is now 100 but in game i seem to lag more than i do with 54mbps

now i have another question if i disable my nagle when i was wireless will that affect wired b/c in game on wireless i can switch my weapons between 2 slots in a blink of an eye but on wired i cant do that

also ms seem to stay at 100-200

wireless was ms of 40-60.

ill install that program in a bit and post the other info u ask for

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice