1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lag spikes, driving me CRAZY

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Camz, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camz

Camz Thread Starter

Hey, I've been having this problem for quite a while now, I will be playing WoW or CoD and just randomly receive spikes then in the next 20 mins it will be fine again, and then spike again. It doesn't happen every day but when it does it very fustrating as you can imagine.

I've contacted my ISP (Virgin Media UK) and they've told me to test the connection which is a strong 9.5MBS, so they've said its a 'firewall issue' so I've turned off firewars, windows + norton which im using and it will still spike. I use a Belkin Router to connect via my modem and I've ran several tests using software and the connection to the router is almost instant (always 1-3MS) but its the connection to the ISP server's which is driving me crazy.

Ill check the connection just thoughout the day and it will be a steady 30MS, but maybe later on it will spikes to 600+ which is unplayable. After having this problem for months on all my PCs sharing the same connection I've run out of ideas. If anyone could through me some ideas of what i do / test please dont hesitate to post, thanks alot in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/944547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice