1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lag spikes making me consider suicide

Discussion in 'Games' started by Climhazzard, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Climhazzard

Climhazzard Thread Starter

Im going to go crazy I swear. As sad as this sounds, my life resolves around video games, but the only problem is that for some reason karma has come to get me (Im actually not Hindu, or wtvr religion beileves in karma), I guess I was really bad in my past life because in this life im incredibly unlucky. One day about a month ago my computer, out of the blue, started to have this unimaginably annoying lag spike, I havnt recently done anything new to my computer, nothing at all. I have delt with this lag, this lag that will not allow me to pvp in WoW, will not allow me to play CS:S, and has made me sacrifice alot of my hair, which i pulled out in fits of frustration, FOR 1 MONTH! Ive had it up to here:

[​IMG]

With this lag! (yeah, i even drew a picture.)

I have gone to many forums to see what people have to say about lag spikes, and Ive tried everything thye've said:
    Reinstalled my drivers, updated my drivers, reinstalled Windows, adjusted my resolution outside and inside the games, stopped watching 'Freinds', deleted my temp. files, reinstalled ALL of my games (the paaaiiiinnnn....), deleted old programs, I even brought it to GeekSquad at BestBuy and they pretty much said "**** you, bro!", ect.

I cant afford a new computer, I gotta save for college, I hope to god its not a component in my computer also because I dont think i could afford the repairs. But I've tried everything. Can someone tell me what I've missed?

2. Laurie52

Laurie52

What are you running? DSL, Cable, wireless, or satellite?.....Dare I say, Dialup? (I should talk...I still have "that") You could try "DSL Reports.com forums Just find your provider's forum there to see what may be going on.

Having Lag may not be anything wrong with your computer. But has to do with "upload" compared to "download" packets due to distance from where your signal is having to travel. Satellite...and I think Wireless, is in this category. I use WildBlue and my ping is horrible to play Rune or Rune Halls of Valhalla with. I do better to go back to my Dialup. My son, however, has the WB router and his ping is better. He is able to play WoW with it...but in a big fight, the upload packet causes too much of a lag. So will switch over to dialup. Or vice versa. He is philosophical about it and plays anyway.

Like I said, it is the refreshing and sending lower Upload packets back up to the Satellite. That and your usage is being on a shared service. DSL, Cable, and even Dialup were developed to handle larger Upload packets as well as Downloads. Both at the same speeds...coming or going.

Then if you are using satellite, there may be periodic spikes or loss due to any upgrading that may be done. Or loss of signal due to weather or any number of reasons.

WildBlue and HughesNet is fine for a wide number of Internet "things to do" because it is faster compared to Dialup speeds....as a rule. But it does have its limitations. Intense online MMO gaming is not necessarily one of them, depending on the requirements. Like I said, my son plays WoW with his....but a friend of mine does better playing "NeoPets" with no lag.

Video gaming does offer many social connections. I live in a very rural area and the Internet is one of my social outlets...especially being part of a gaming community and play MP. I use gaming also as a stress reliever when not just having some fun or hang out with friends. Yet, I have to push myself away from the computer and the games at times. You might want to read the "Real Life MMO" GameSpot review. There is a reason why this MMO gets a 9.6 rating

3. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby

Just curious, are you on a wireless connection. If so, is it secured? If it is, try changing the password.

My wireless connection picks up couple of connections that are not my. And some are insucured.

4. Climhazzard

Yeah, my computer sends about 4000 more packets than it recieves, i dunno if thats bad or not. And no, my wireless connection isnt secured i dont think, i can access it pretty easily. but again with the packets, someone on another forums spoke about 'packet burst' and why it should be disabled, but i couldnt find a utility on my comp for (or anything at all relating to) packet burst. I checked out that DSLreports.com forums site and it wasnt incredibly helpful, but it did shine a bit of light on my situation:

Apparently im not the only one affected by the 'mystery lag', alot of what they said though was stuff i understood but wouldnt know how to do on my own, and other posts just wanted to know my tracert so they could make fun of my confusion, ha!

Thanks so much for the posts so far, though.

5. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby

* step 1, always secure your wireless connection. stealing unsecured wireless connection is easy as browsing a website. IT could be possible that someone else is stealing your connection and downloading files.

As far as your problem goes. Here is what can help it fix it.
    1. Secure your connection.

2. Make sure no program on computer connected to your network has program running that are downloading files. I use norton security and it shows program and how much bandwith is being used by it. Ask around for free programs cause i dont know any.

3. What kind of wireless router are you using? Also, what kind of wireless adapter are you using? For gaming, you need a quality stuff. I use Dlink Gaming Router, and Dlink wireless adapter for my pc. Works Great for me.

4. how far are you from your router? For gaming, you need really good signal strenght.

Try this. Make sure no program is using any bandwith on your pc. Then Hook your pc directly to the Modem without any wireless connection. IF this solves your problem, then we know is your wireless setting causing lag.

6. Climhazzard

Im using a Linksys router and i dont think its my adapter because like i said earlier, it came out of the blue, about a month ago it was fine one minute, then laggy and practically unplayable the next. I sit as the crow flies about 15 feet away from it, my signal strength is excellent and isnt interrupted by anything besides part of a 4 inch wall. i have 2 additional antennae attacted to it, without them my signal strength is just 'good'. i attempted to plug it directly into the router, but the lag persists.

I have a hunch though;

The diagram below is my performance check under admin tools.

[​IMG]

Where the green is lowest is when my computer is idle on the desktop screen, where its tallest is where im on World of Warcraft. When the lag isn't present, it will drop from highest point to lowest within a matter of milliseconds. But when the lag is present on the game it will drop to a point a little lower than halfway, then given about 10-15 seconds, will drop to its normal idle state. this point i believe is my 'mystery lag'.

the green shows the actions taken by my processor, so is it at all possible that my procesor is my problem?

7. ACA529

ACA529

SYSTEM SPECS would be nice........

8. Laurie52

Laurie52

There is a lot of refresh/upload/download packet sending with something like WoW. Like I said, my son plays it and if in the middle of a big fight the smaller Upload will cause a lag compared to what is being sent opposite. But that is with satellite.

9. Climhazzard

[​IMG]

If this is what you mean by specs, then this is it from dxdiag.

10. Pookie

Pookie

Do you use any kind of ids (intrusion detection system) if it has to inspect every packet coming in it will slow it down. I turned my ids off when playing WoW and went from 1152 ms lag to 186ms lag.
    And PLEASE secure your wirelss.

11. PrivatePC

PrivatePC

This is what i think. Scense you did not do anything to your computer and it just started happening there must be a virus. Listen to this: Theres a virus that comes back to my computer when i deleat it. And if i dont deleat it then it laggs in Medal of Honor Pacific Assualt. Try search for viruses. Like spybot search and destroy.

12. ACA529

ACA529

You don't have much ram. Get at LEAST another GB if you're gaming.

13. Climhazzard

You really think its my ram? I dunno, I'm pretty sure i have plenty for only using 2 games (Actually 1 now, i uninstalled CS:S to see if it would run better on WoW and it didnt help), an my friend let me borrow his wireless linksys adapter, and that sort of helped but i still have the periodic lag. And Ive run probably 30+ virus scans on 5 different virus scanners with absolutly zero results. Im going bald.

14. ACA529

ACA529

Get another gig of ram. It will help a LOT.

15. Laurie52

Laurie52

Yeah, the cheapest way to upgrade is with more RAM. A lot less "in computer sharing" if you have it and a good "quick fix". Most newer games require a gig now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!