1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lag spikes

Discussion in 'Games' started by luukki123, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

Hi.

For some reason my computer wont get stable FPS but will have lag spikes (or fps drops) especially when there is a lot on screen activity. Even when I lower the graphics, I get lag spikes (even my computer specs should run it well).

I've tried defragmenting my hdd, check for viruses and downloaded most recent updates but nothing seems to work.

Specs:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82, AMD64 Family 17 Model 3 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 6141 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 144206 MB; D: Total - 463399 MB, Free - 251586 MB; E: Total - 13535 MB, Free - 19 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 3064, 19.15, None
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Has this problem only just started to happen?

If so, had you changed or added anything before the problem began.

3. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

No, it has been on for a pretty long time but it's getting serious. While i'm playing I take a look from task manager if there is programs that use my CPU but there ain't nothing except the game i'm playing. Also, i've removed startup programs and services.

4. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

"the drop offs in fps are an automatic feature inorder to allow the gpu to cool off"

Is it possible that this is causing lag? Cause I have a HP laptop that heats up really fast...

Even I have tried to clean up my fans, doesn't seem to help.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

Run this to check the graphics card but be very carefull with the temperatures. Have you got easy access to the graphics card so you can use a can of compressed air to blow out the cooler. You may get an even better result by removing the cooler to get it as clean as possible and replacing the thermal paste on the GPU.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

FurMark Setup:
    - If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
    - In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
    Click "Go" to start the test
    - Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
    NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
    - Click "Quit" to exit

6. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

i don't have easy access to my fan since it would require me to remove many parts from my laptop. Also I don't have the screwdriver that is needed for certain screws. But I will test the stability test. But just to make it clear, you say "Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out", how much is that?

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

This means until the temperature stops rising. But as the instructions state if it goes over 90ºC keep a close eye on it, any sign of problems stop the test.

My recommendation would be to get to the card, clean it thoroughly and replace the thermal paste. If you don't want to take the risk of causing damage to the GPU then just run the software to monitor the temperatures while you are playing a game and see what it gets up to.

8. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

ok, thanks a lot. 1 more thing, do you know if there is an easy way to clean the fans well? Cause I don't really want to open my whole computer.

Thanks for your help!

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

Unfortunately with a laptop there is no other way. You will only be able to make quite certain it is clean if you take it apart. You should be able to get the correct screwdrivers from any DIY store quite cheaply. I suspect if they are anything other than a cross head screw they will be torx screws with six points or tamperproof torx with a pin in the middle, or maybe just a hexagon for which you need an Allen key.

I would run the test first and see how it goes before you think about taking it apart. Laptops are not really ideal for playing games on because of the heat problem. You would be much better off with a desktop PC.

10. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Ok, I'm back with the results, my GPU goes to 90 degrees really fast, even 91 92 93... when the GPU has no load it's 75 C and fan speed 30 %

PS, my memoryclock is 666 D:

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

That's a shame, obviously the software is not detecting a temperature sensor in the GPU (there may not be one).

It is at your own risk that you use the test as there is a possibility you will overheat the GPU without knowing it.

Therefore, all I can recommend is that you take the laptop apart to do a thorough clean.

There is also a possibility that your problem is due to the GPU failing. As I said earlier laptops are not really designed for gaming because of heat problems. You could try a cooling mat but no guarantee it will make any difference. Your GPU has been put under a lot of pressure from running games and as it has most probably been running close to it's maximum temperature the damage may already be done. There are just a few laptops that have removable graphics cards that can cope with gaming but on yours I suspect the card is integrated into the motherboard so there is not likely to be much else you can do.

12. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

Sorry for not telling you, I made it work, used GPU-Z

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

A rapid rise in temperature up to over 90ºC is a good indication that it needs cleaning. 75ºC when idle is still quite high it should be nearer to 50ºc.

What did the fan speed go up to at the max temperature.

SpeedFan might help, to manually increase you fan speed.http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

This is from the cards specifications so it looks like your memory clockspeed is underclocked. This is an area I don't know much about so I could be wrong.

550 MHz core clock; 550MHz shader clock; 800MHz memory clock speed

14. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

I just tried to clean up my comp, I guess it worked a little since now i'm running about 70 C Idle. But still, it raises up quite fast to 90 C. Also I noticed even if I could hear my fan starting to work hard, the temperatures just keep on raising..

Also is it possible (and safe) to overclock your fan so that it would run more cool?

15. Mark1956

Mark1956

SpeeFan, that I gave you the link for, will allow you to control the fan speed. (Don't ask how because I have never used it)

Those temps are still way to high so cleaning would be the better option to chancing it and having the GPU burn out.

You didn't answer my question, what % is the fan speed going up to at max temperature?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice