1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lag with a good computer

Discussion in 'Games' started by cenet1, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cenet1

cenet1 Thread Starter

I have a ASUS N55S Series laptop computer. I bought this computer so it would be able to run modern games. However that has not been the case. I can't run games from 2008 using high specs. My graphics card is a Nvidia GT 555. My CPU is a I7-2670QM (2.2 GHZ). I have 8gb RAM and I use a windows 64 bit operating system. Why can't I run any games with good specs?

Edit: 60 views no replies oh wow

2. Holyjoely

Holyjoely

I think that the problem is your GPU. It only get's a score of 746 on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/, which is fairly low. To give you a comparison, the HD5770 which I have in one of my computers get's a score of 1600, which is good enough to run older games on their maximum settings but can only handle newer, more demanding games (such as BF3) on low/medium settings. As your score is half of that I expect that this is the reason that you aren't able to run games on the highest settings. Your CPU and RAM seem fine to me.

3. cenet1

cenet1 Thread Starter

It is not about that I see people on youtube play the newest games with max res and high settings with the exact same computer. Even if it was the gpu we are talking about not being able to run a game that released in 2008 with high settings. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: I feel like my computer does not use its full capacity maybe thats the problem and it needs optimization. Still need more help.

4. tom6049

tom6049

Does this laptop have switchable graphics (the ability to use the Nvidia or the integrated Intel video)?
    Maybe the GT555M isn't being used...

5. Tanis

Tanis Shane

What resolution are you running at? In my opinion, anything over 720p is too much for that GPU really and it will probably struggle.

I would be surprised if anyone is running the latest games with max res and high settings on that machine, the GPU simply isn't up to it, can you provide links?

The benchmarks Holyjoely posted are a good start to get an idea on the ability of the card, although the score he said was for the 550m not the 555m. The 555m scores 1,006 on the high end GPU chart which is lower than an 8800GTX at 1,046 and the 8800 series card were released in 2007, that should give you a good idea on the cards capability.

6. cenet1

cenet1 Thread Starter

I am running with 720p check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8Iv7YBVF0. Battlefield 3, with high specs on a even higher res. I can't run Mount and Blade Warband with high specs.

Maybe, this is the problem how do I make sure Nvidia is being used?

7. Tanis

Tanis Shane

Ill have a look at the video later today, I can view it at work as my work internet is quite heavily locked down.

8. Holyjoely

Holyjoely

Sorry about getting your GPU score wrong, however I still firmly believe that there is no reason for the card to be able to run BF3 on high. To get a stable 60FPS on Battlefield 3 on my HD5770 (which has a considerably higher score than GT550M that you are running) I have to put all my settings to low with a few on medium at 1080p or put the settings to medium with a few high at 720p. However, with that card you should be able to run games better than what you are describing, have you tried what is recommended in the comments of the video that you posted?

I think that the case is your laptop is either using an integrated GPU instead of your Nvidia card or it is using some sort of power-saving mode that isn't allowing the card to be used to its full capacity.

9. cenet1

cenet1 Thread Starter

I can guarantee that it is not in a power saving mode. Can you tell me how I can make sure my Nvidia card is being used instead of a possible integrated GPU. I didn't now try the reccomended settings that are in the vid. desc. because it is not the same game.

10. Tanis

Tanis Shane

From what I can see that laptop doesn't have dual GPUs so that won't be the problem. If it is performing considerably worse than you think it should, my first point of call would be Asus if it is still under warranty.

If everything is working the next think I would consider would be some level of power saving, but you say you have it set to maximum performance, or I assume you have mean you have changed it to that power setting.

11. cenet1

cenet1 Thread Starter

I am thinking of sending it to ASUS technical service. It is under warranty and nothing seems to work.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059385