1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lag with AM2 6000+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShadowEvangel, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShadowEvangel

ShadowEvangel Thread Starter

Ok, I had these specs:

M2N8-VMX mobo
    AM2 Athlon X2 6000+ CPU
    Two sticks 1GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Maxtor 320GB SATA HDD split into 240GB/50GB partitions with 10GB unallocated.
    Samsung 1TB SATA HDD split into 750GB partition, 250GB unallocated.
    Gigabyte 896MB GTX 260 in a PCI-8X slot.

Windows itself was ok, but within games I kept getting massive lag spikes, and during POST, the lines "skipped" down the screen (or up, depending on your preference)

I ended up upgrading to the latest BIOS and it stopped supporting my CPU.

Have now bought a new motherboard with AM2+ socket support, PCIe 2 (16x). Plugged everything in, exact same problem. I elimiated the video card as a problem by using my old CPU in my old mobo - ran fine, and the mobo by replacing the whole damn thing.

Can someone tell me if this would be a hardware issue, eg dud CPU, or if this is just a config (or similar) issue that is affecting two entire systems?

I'd really like to know to save myself lugging my computer an hour each way by train and a kilometer each way in my arms to get them to have a look at it. After I tear my place apart to find the receipt...

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you using xp? If so, have you installed the dual core optimizer?

Did you install the chipset drivers for your board?

3. ShadowEvangel

I have all my drivers installed except the High-def audio, it's annoying me because the CD I'm installing it off is bootable, and I keep forgetting to insert it back in the drive when Windows boots and then the installation aborts. A little bit of concentration would make it work, but meh.

As for the Optmizier, I'm downloading it now and will tell how it goes.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One thing I would NOT be doing is installing drivers from the support CD. I would go to the asus site and download/install the latest drivers.

5. ShadowEvangel

I agree, I always install the support CD drivers first to get my system off the ground though, then upgrade drivers if there's any problems in the slightest (What's not broken, don't fix).

Anyway, you are a freaking champ, the optimizer seems to be working perfectly. I've tested my low-spec game, no more lag. Am about to switch on World in Conflict at max settings to give it a real workout.

Thanks for the advice and saving me lugging my computer around :D

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. FWIW vista does not have this problem.

7. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah... XP doesn't exactly have native support for multi-core CPUs.

8. ShadowEvangel

Oookay, tried out WiC and it went right back to chugging. Popped my low-spec game back on, lagging again. I have some unallocated space on one of my drives, I might install a copy of Vista, see if it's just XP not supporting it as mentioned, or if it's more hardware based. That'll have to wait until I can get said copy of Vista though...

Hmm...anyone know of a Linux distro that's guaranteed to support my above hardware? Also, I got my mobo model, it's an ASUS M2N78-EMI HDMI.

In the meantime, I'll have to wait until my net gets uncapped, then get latest drivers for everything. And no way am I flashing THIS BIOS, no chance, not after waht happened to my last one.

And until all that, I'll just use my old CPU to play stuff XD

Oh, and since "XP doesn't exactly have native support for multi-core CPUs." Would it be at least a temp solution to disable one core? And if so, is this even possible?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not find your current board listed at asus. Is that the correct part# ?

What are the specs on your power supply?

Do you have cool & quiet enabled or disabled in the bios?

10. BG-0

BG-0

I would actually doubt XP being the only thing resposible for the lag spikes... I played games like Assassin's Creed with best graphical quality setting with my setup (worse than yours) without the dual core optimizer and didn't experience such performance drops. For about 4 weeks.
    Be sure to post your PSU specs (or brand and model) and check the C&Q in BIOS(turn it off) as crj adviced.

11. ShadowEvangel

No, it's not XD the correct one is M3N78-EMH HDMI, sorry about that

400W PSU

C&Q is enabled at this time.

Also, the actual bios menues themselves are also rather laggy, though I can't remember testing that thoroughly with an old CPU or on my old mobo.

Update - switched off C&Q, no change. If anything, WiC took longer to load up than before...but that could have just been as I freshly booted up when I started it. Either way, lag, hence not fixed.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A 400W psu with that video card is just asking for a problem [and you have found one]
    With a setup like yours, something like 550W with a min of 50amp on the 12V is needed.

When you select a pw supply, watts mean next to nothing. The amp rating of the 12V rail is much more important. The reason is that just about everything in a modern system is powered from the 12V. Having a lot of watts on the 3.3V or 5V is just about useless. Here is an example of a decent pw supply. Note it has combined 60amp on the 12V rail. Newegg link

13. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah, definitely PSU issue here. This is why full specs would be nice everytime anyone asks anything... But one thing makes me wonder...
    How are you fitting 50 A (12*50=600) in a 550W PSU? :p Not anything worth mentioning after all.. And actually the FSP one has "half-imaginary" watts worth 720W in the 700W model, thou they are on multiple rails, making some of them unusable
    Yet, I would still recommend the good ole Corsair 750TX, (120 $ - 20 $ rebate, free shipping, compared to the FSP one, 95$ + 10.xx $ shipping...) And the Corsair has a single rail... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Bad math :)

15. jlabit

jlabit

I have the Corsair 750 and it is the best power supply I have ever owned, which includes a PC Power & Cooling unit. It is so quiet with 60 amps on the 12 volt single rail. Can't recommend it high enough.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice