1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lag, worse lag and disconnects

Discussion in 'Games' started by shipman7787, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shipman7787

shipman7787 Thread Starter

I have two PS3s in my house and a few months ago, they started to lag and disconnect altogether when we played at the same time. I thought it was the router, a Netgear, so we bought a new one, a Linksys. It was still lagging, so we decided to upgrade from TWC's Road Runner Lite to Road Runner Turbo. Of course the upgrade meant I had to upgrade all services and am now paying $60 extra. It didn't get better, instead, it's getting worse by the day. There is NO way to play the PS3s together now, it lags too bad and will disconnect quickly after. We called the router support and their advice didn't work. We bypassed the wireless aspect of the PS3s and plugged the ethernet cables directly into the router and it still lagged. So it has to be something with the ISP or the modem.

Now if I play the PS3 with the ethernet cable directly from the PS3 into the modem, which is the only way it won't lag, it dies after a few minutes and the modem doesn't send signals. That means my digital phone won't work and my Internet won't work. I unplug it and wait, blah, blah, blah. The only way I can get it to work is if I unplug the MAIN cable from the splitter, which means no cable TV and plug it directly into the modem. That doesn't even solve it, it STILL LAGS! It never lagged before a few months ago, we had two PS3s online wireless and we never had a problem. I called my ISP, Time Warner Cable, and they can't speak English and only say to unplug it and wait 15 seconds. I DO THAT FOUR TIMES A DAY. Can someone please tell me what it could be? The modem is a Webstar Model DPX2203. I went to Speedtest.net and the results were:

Download speed: 4.86Mbps
    Upload speed: 0.48Mbps
    Ping 57ms

And I see that's way below average, so wtf. Is there anything I can do other than spend all that time talking to an automated machine, have them transfer me to a person who can't speak english and only tells me to unplug the modem for fifteen seconds?

2. MysticOutcast

MysticOutcast

If there is ANY WAY to backup your saves on your PS3, do it. I'm pretty sure there is a way to wipe your PS3 back to the way you got it when it was outta the box. Yea, that means you have to spend a night updating it probably but what could be worse that what u have now? Once you do that, use your PS3 to get a browser open while connecting by wire to your modem. I've never heard this problem before though so I can't really say anything I tell you is going to work. Its my one solution to anything odd happening to my PC, IPod, etc... wipe it clean.

PS make sure your network is protected by password. Someone could be stealing internet. Replace your cords going to your modem too. Hope this helps.

3. shipman7787

shipman7787 Thread Starter

Will definitely try that out.

Thanks.

4. ryladine

ryladine

if mystics suggestion doesn't fix it you may want to call your isp's tech support and ask them to perform a line test (it will check to see if the issue is on their end)

5. Syst3mSh0ck

Syst3mSh0ck

Sounds like something else on the line is interfering, you should replace the microfilters througout the house and check all the extensions and ethernet cables for damage, also make sure that the base units for your phones are not "cheap" as they will interfere with the internet when receiving or making a call. Also assuming you are in the UK you should make sure the Ring Wire is disconnected inside the master box, if you have an NTE-5 BT Master Socket then it is the orange wire, this was only needed with Pulse Dialling telephones, we now use DTMF.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!