1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Lagging and freezing Toshiba laptop, but no virus detected

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LoraHereWeGo, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Meg
    Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my laptop. I have a Toshiba Satellite C55t-B5230 laptop.
    Specs are:
    Core i3 4005u
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB
    HDD - US

I have had this laptop for almost 4 years, and have barely used it up until two months ago. So it's like new. I have upgraded my Windows 8 to a 10, but I was noticing these issues a bit before the upgrade. Such as slow logging on, and taking longer than a minute for programs like Open Office or Skype to open. Now, it's just getting worse. Slow log on, takes forever for Firefox or Chrome to pop up. If I am watching a video, the video is all choppy (it's not the internet, because I will pull out my phone, pull up the same video, and the video will play smoothly) and my mouse will lag when moving it across the screen, WHILE the video is playing. File Explorer keeps opening, I constantly have to close it when I am using the laptop. When I log off, some things will be still running and I have to click Shut Down Anyway when shutting down my laptop. And sometimes it takes awhile for my computer to shut down. (It's not updating, it's just a typical shut down. About half an hour. But this isn't a constant thing)
    Also, Command Prompt used to flash behind programs, but that seems to have stopped.

I have performed a Avira anti virus scan, I have run CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Everything comes up clean. I don't know what else to do, my knowledge of computers is not particularly vast. Can anyone assist me with smoothing out my issues?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

First thing I would do is replace that s-l-o-w 5,400 RPM hard drive with a SSD (solid state drive). You won't believe the difference it will make.

The sweet spot for RAM on Windows 10 is 8GB. Unfortunately, your laptop can only handle up to 4GB.

3. LoraHereWeGo

First Name:
    Meg
    Hey there, thanks for the reply!
    And er, you seem to be under the impression that I use this thing seriously. :p I don't want to invest $200 more dollars on a laptop I spent a flat $300 on. I barely use it, and when I do, it's for either typing up a document real quick or I want to watch Netflix while I'm taking a soak in the tub. I just want to be able to do those things smoothly.

I read somewhere that your computer would be just fine if you just only used Windows Defender as a anti-virus/protector/thing,just as long as you're not downloading iffy files. So I uninstalled Avira and a couple other programs, and my laptop seems to be running more smoothly.
    Though, I still see the Avira launcher and I'm trying to figure out how to get THAT off.

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Toshiba Satellite C55T-B5230 (support site)

According to its marketing specs, it comes with:
    Intel Celeron N2830 2.16 GHz dual core processor
    4 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM (maximum supported amount)
    500 GB SATA 5400 RPM hard drive

Are you sure yours has an Intel Core i3-4005U 1.70 GHz dual core processor?
    There's a big difference in their performance.

What's the exact part/product number and serial number on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. LoraHereWeGo

First Name:
    Meg
    You're right! I must have looked up the wrong one. The product number is PSCMQU -00U006
    And the serial is: 5E195945P

7. LoraHereWeGo

First Name:
    Meg
  8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to those serial and product numbers, you have THIS Toshiba Satellite C55T-B5230 laptop.

Capture.JPG

As you can see, it came with the weaker Intel Celeron N2830 processor and only 4 GB of RAM.

Considering that's a $300.00 4-year old budget laptop, I would be hesitant to invest a sizeable amount of money into it.
    If you need a laptop with more power and speed, you might consider looking at some refurbished models.
    I've bought nothing but refurbished for the past 10 years.
    Besides saving a lot of money, refurbished ones don't come with all the useless "bloatware" that new ones do.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    LoraHereWeGo likes this.
  9. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice