Solved Laggy computer!

TheFaultedFunny

TSG SysInfo----------------
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 17763, Installed 20200605043929.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) G4900 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (63 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-E R2.0, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 190958896204338
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

This computer is the most powerful thing I have ever touched. Paid $500 for it. Playing games and rendering them, it has no trouble at all.
Downloading a file? Yikes. When steam or google downloads a game or updates it, the system lags, my cursor freezes and unfreezes. Is it something with my specs that I don't know. Or?

The Celeron is the cheapest version of CPU from Intel. But that said, your CPU was made in 2018, and should not lag while downloading. Check your browser and remove add-ons, plug-in's and extensions. Check for malware using MalwareBytes Antimalware Free.

The Celeron is the cheapest version of CPU from Intel. But that said, your CPU was made in 2018, and should not lag while downloading. Check your browser and remove add-ons, plug-in's and extensions. Check for Malware using MalwareBytes Antimalware Free.

Downloading a file? Yikes. When steam or google downloads a game or updates it, the system lags, my cursor freezes and unfreezes.
This is more network related rather than hardware related. First you need to find out what wifi adapter you have and what class wifi it is.......G, N, AC. Then what your ISP speed is. Also how many users are connected to the wifi will have an impact.

TheFaultedFunny

"This is more network-related rather than hardware related. First you need to find out what wifi adapter you have and what class wifi it is.......G, N, AC. Then what your ISP speed is. Also how many users are connected to the wifi will have an impact."

I fail to see what my network connection has to do with the freezing of my system and by extension my cursor. The wifi adapter I am using is a basic antenna that came with the pc, it has no labeling.
The computer can play online games such as Roblox, or War Thunder just fine. Its when it has to update a game (Like when war thunder auto-updates) that it lags out and freezes up! :whistle:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 17763, Installed 20200605043929.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) G4900 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (63 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-E R2.0, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 190958896204338
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

The above images show the performance ratings of the processor and graphics card in your gaming computer.
The processor is going to handicap the full potential of the graphics card.
It's also going to handicap your gaming experience.
An Intel Core i5 or i7 processor is what it should have.

You didn't say what speed plan you have with your ISP.
You also didn't describe the wireless adapter, and if it's using the 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz band.

The motherboard in it has Realtek RTL8111H gigabit ethernet.
Have you tried using a wired ethernet connection?
Doing that should provide a more stable and faster connection speed.

----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Its when it has to update a game
That's the wifi. Your updates are coming form the wifi and if the download speed isn't on par.....it can cause issues as you're having. I've seen downloads lock up a PC/laptop and a reboot is needed. You need to get a better wifi adapter that matches your routers wifi speed....a, b, g, n, or ac and with each of those are mbps speeds that range from 54mbps to 2400mbps. Or use a ethernet cable and plug that directly into your modem/router which is preferred.

TheFaultedFunny

It is a wireless connection. The adapter on the back of my computer is an unlabeled Antenna, plugged into a USB 2.0 port
Our speed plan allows 50 Mbps.

TheFaultedFunny

"That's the wifi. Your updates are coming form the wifi and if the download speed isn't on par.....it can cause issues as you're having. I've seen downloads lock up a PC/laptop and a reboot is needed. You need to get a better wifi adapter that matches your routers wifi speed....a, b, g, n, or ac and with each of those are mbps speeds that range from 54mbps to 2400mbps. Or use a ethernet cable and plug that directly into your modem/router which is preferred."

I see, so then you were right from the beginning, Sorry! I have an ethernet cable that I will use.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Please re-read post #6 because I've been editing and adding to it.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Network Adapters heading.
What is the exact name of the wireless device listed there?
Click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.
What is the exact 4-character vendor and device codes listed in those strings?

Note: Because it's a USB device, it may have a string that looks something like:
USB\VID_8087&PID_07DC

-------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That's a MediaTek Ralink wireless adapter.
It's a single band 802.11n model and is capable of only using the 2.4 GHz wireless band.
You need to purchase a dual band 802.11ac model which is capable of using the much faster 5.0 GHz band.
Hopefully, your modem/router is capable of supporting both bands.

-------------------------------------------------

TheFaultedFunny

Alrighty, as usual, thank you very much! This site has done me wonders and I've learned so much about computers from it. I'll mark the thread as solved now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online