1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN and High speed internet disappeared? HELPPP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leaaa, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

Hi

After my computer had a startup loop error, I reinstalled windows, and now i am having a problem with connecting to the internet!

When i go into Network connections, there is only the heading 'Dial up' and 'Broadband' when there used to be a heading of 'LAN and highspeed internet'.

When i try to set up a new connection it only seems to setup dialup!

I have tried ringing my ISP but they said its a problem at my end.

I am guessing here, but it seems to me as though my computer does not detect my internet connection and therefore needs a driver?

The internet is definately connected to the computer properly as all lights are signaled as normal.

Do i need to install something off microsoft to get this working?

I have an XP SP2.

Please help as i work from home on the internet every weekend and i am at work 2moro!!

Thanks x

2. Sponsor

3. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Gonna be a very simple question but have you re-installed your Network Adapter drivers? after re-installing windows?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look in Device Manager, my guess is you'll find an Ethernet adapter that's looking for it's drivers. You get the drivers from either the motherboard maker or the maker of the NIC if it's a stand-alone PCI card.

Without some system details, that's as good as we can do.

5. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

whats a motherboard maker??

6. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

The manufacturer of your motherboard

7. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

lol k arrgh so its guna cost me money? x

8. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Not at all, Just find out the make of your motherboard. Best way to do this would prob be to download Belarc adviser from http://www.belarc.com

It should list all hardware you have connected to your system, including listing the make of motherboard.
    You will then have to make a visit to the Motherboard makers website and download all the neccisary drivers for your make of motherboard.

However like John Will mentioned, you will need to see whether or not its a stand alone PCi card or integrated Network adapter on the motherboard.

If stand alone PCI card, in the same way as the motherboard you will have to visit the manufacturers website and download the drivers for the PCI card.

This is all assuming you don't have a motherboard driver disk or the driver disk for your PCI card should it be thats what you have installed in the system.

9. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

thanks for the info, i'll try that xxx

10. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

i have test drove the belarc advisor with my work computer, where does it tell you the make of the motherboard? and when i find out the name of the motherboard,what o i do? type it in google? x

11. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

Hi

ok heres the details from belarc

Main Circuit Board:

Board - KT400 - 8235
    Bus Clock - 166 megahurtz
    BIOS - Phoenix Technologies LTD

Network Drivers - None Detected

Im guessing i need a driver there!
    Anyone help? :)

12. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

are these any good? x

13. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

ok before you go downloading drivers for your motherboard you will need confirm that your network card isnt a PCI card.
    Best way to do this is just look where the network port is on the back of the machine and open the machine up to check whether its a PCI card plugged into a slot on the motherboard or if its just a small port attached to the motherboard itself.

If you don't want to open up your machine, you can download "Unknow device Identifier"
    Just search for it on google. It will list all your hardware (makes and models)

You can then either search for the motherboard website or pci cards website from google.

I reckon you'll find your motherboard drivers at www.via.com

since they make the kt400-8235

14. leaaa

leaaa Thread Starter

Hey guys!

I have fixed the problem

It turns out when i was trying to fix an old problem with my computer i had disabled something in BIOS on startup which had disabled all of my drivers.

I fixed this problem by pressing DEL during startup, and i went into Advanced BIOS and enabled it.

Thanks for all of the support x

15. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Well that ended up easier that first thought. Nice that you got it sorted though.

Now that problem is over please mark thread solved.

16. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623809