1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN and internet sharing security questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by metallicxxx, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallicxxx

metallicxxx Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've recently connected my PC to my neighbour's LAN system (which I'll be using from time to time to get connected to the internet, long story for why I'm not getting a direct internet line for myself) and since I don't have much experience with networking, I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer these questions:

1- What kind of information can he see from what I'll be doing? ( for example, can he see what I'm downloading, which site I'm surfing via their IPs or anything like that ?)

2- Will he be able to get access to my PC and personal files and information (passwords..etc) ? (I'm connected to him through his router from my network adapter, I'm using Windows XP Professional).

3- Will anyone else who's using the same network be able to get access to my PC ?

As for security, I'm using ZA Pro firewall (which by it, I set the network just for internet sharing and security settings are set to maximum) and Kaspersky AV.

Also, any tips or suggestions to increase security would be great.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We don't help with issues involving illegal activities here. Even if you had permission, it's against the terms of service for his ISP to share his access with someone else.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice