1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LAN and Internet working but LAN status window not showing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by all-i-want, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. all-i-want

all-i-want Thread Starter

hi, my LAN connections status window isn't working - when i go to network connections, LAN connection right click status - nothing happens. nothing at all, in addition the icon no longer appears in the sys tray. this seems to have all started after a problem i had with adwatch, all thats fixed now, this seems to be the only problem remaining. im running win xp sp3, with all updates.
    the internet and all connections all work perfectly.
    thanks a lot in advance :eek:

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Do you have the box checked in your Network Properties.
    "Show icon in notification are when connected"

3. all-i-want

thanks for the reply :) but its not quite that simple. i have tried that (unsucessfully) but the icon appearing isnt my main problem - the fact that i cannot open the status of the LAN connection at all. the icon is kinda secondary at the mo. :)

4. all-i-want

P.S. sorry if that wasnt clear, but if i go to "network connections" the lan connection is there but if i right click it and go to status, nothing comes up. ever :p

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well you situation seems to be unique because every other thread I have found with that issue say they still have the Network icon in the tray and can access the status from there but apparently you can't get the icon down there either.

Some people have said this can be caused by using CCleaner. Some people have solved the problem by uninstalling their Network Card from Device manager and rebooting. This will reinstall the Network Card. Windows should find the drivers automatically when you reboot.

Another option would be to do a TCP/IP stack repair. Johnwill posts instructions for that on this forum all the time.

I know is says Sp2 but I am pretty sure this is valid for SP3 as well. I will pm Johnwill and ask him.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, valid for SP3 as well. The "updated" post I use now:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

7. all-i-want

thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately neither helped :( still no icon or status window... iv never used ccleaner, but im certain it started happening after a problem with adwatch which buggered up a lot of my comp.. i fixed all that, now this is all thats left. if you can think of anything else, youre a champion :) if not, ill keep fiddling round, see if i can dig anything up.. thanks a lot guys1

8. JohnWill

You might consider running SFC, perhaps some file has been damaged: SFC Tutorial

9. all-i-want

unfortunately i dont have an *authentic* windows cd and insanely enough this fix requires it as my DLL cache is *corrupt* :( in addition to that, iv just got my windows installation possibly better than it has ever been through modding and use of alternate files and as a result, quite a few of the DLLs in the system folder are not authentic, i have a feeling even if i could use this, SFC would cause more trouble than it would solve... any more suggestions would be fantastic :) thanks a lot for the replies btw, i know this kinda thing isnt really common and as a result im glad youre helping :D

10. JohnWill

Without a real Windows CD and having made many "mods" to the O/S files, I'm out of ideas.

11. all-i-want

hahhaah, well you know what i mean by "mods", just 3rd party software that i find improves my whole windows experience (which has been pretty dismal over the years until now :p) i finally found a thread on which people were having this exact same problem, but they all had access to the status window through the tray icon, but none through the network connection window. as i dont have the icon this doesnt help a lot but it makes me think if i CAN restore the tray icon, ill be happy if i can get to it through that. sorry to be persistent with this problem, but if you have any ideas on the tray icon side of things, itd be greatly appreciated.
    thanks a lot for all your help johnwill!

12. all-i-want

oh and a thought - do you know of any good status monitors for LAN connections around - im perfectly happy to use an extra program to bypass this problem if we cant find a solution as such. as long as i can access all info about it in a graphical interface and be able to change setting and what not.
    thanks again!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice